Offensive, defensive lapses bring overtime against Redbirds

In their final home game before Big Ten play begins, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team found itself struggling to defeat Illinois State.

The No. 15 Badgers (5-1-0) came out victorious in Sunday night’s game, but inconsistencies on both the offensive and defensive side for UW brought the game to overtime.

Scoring goals has not been an issue for Wisconsin this season. In its first six games, the Badgers have put 17 balls in the back of the net, seven more than they were able to finish in the first games of last season.

But panic showed on the field as players rushed to complete passes and take shots as they approached the Redbirds’ defense. Even with three goals in the game, head coach Paula Wilkins believes her team can do more to push the front of the field.

“I felt we got rushed in the final third. We have been more patient in previous games,” Wilkins said after the game. “It is important to me that [players] worry less about the results and more about the performance and I think that we got a little unsteady.”

During the first half, UW looked strong on the attack, outshooting Illinois State 8-6, and headed into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

However, the second half was a different story as Wisconsin managed just six shots. UW drove balls in from outside the 18-yard box, and when the Badgers could have controlled the ball to set themselves up for a shot the ball was instead quickly kicked into the keeper’s hands.

“It was in spans. We would play good for a few minutes and then fall into ball watching,” sophomore forward Cara Walls said. “But we got it together in the end.”

Despite the poor finishing in the latter part of the game, there was no shortage of opportunities for offensive production by Wisconsin. The team distributed the ball well to the outsides, a strength Wisconsin has maintained from past seasons even with two freshman starting on the outside. Freshman midfielder Kinley McNicoll sent several quality crosses into the box and took four shots throughout the game. Walls also took four shots in the game, three of which were on net. And with both Walls and her wingman up top, redshirt junior Paige Adams, both scoring goals, Wilkins is pleased with the potential she is seeing.

“There were three goals, I would like to finish more chances if we can but it is great to get both Paige and Cara up on the board,” Wilkins said.

But possession on the attack is where the Badgers fell short, making weak passes at times and losing the 50-50 battles in the middle of the field.

“At this point in the season I would really like us to be cleaner in some of our passes, keeping possession, and moving off the ball,” Wilkins said. “I thought we lost some of our transition and things we had done well before in the past.” 

On defense, in the first three games of the season, UW’s defense had solid performances, shutting out Notre Dame, South Dakota State and Loyola Chicago. However, the past three games have all resulted in two goals against the Badgers.

Wisconsin held the Redbirds to just six shots on goal throughout the game Sunday. The Badger defensive line looked strong, but a lack of experience with two freshmen in the back showed.

Small mistakes while in possession of the ball inside Wisconsin’s defensive half handed Illinois State opportunities to score.

Star Illinois State forward Rachel Tejada took advantage of a mistake by the Badger defense that resulted in a Redbird goal to tie the game up in the second half and send the game to overtime.

Wilkins said that while she was happy with the outcome, better transitioning in future games will eliminate such mistakes from happening.

“I think it has to do with us keeping the ball. We are giving away balls in bad areas and giving up fouls; it is really about being better in the transition,” Wilkins explained. “I think that is the part we are going to focus on for Milwaukee.”

Redshirt senior goaltender Lauren Gunderson was an exception to the inconsistent Badger display. Both goals against Wisconsin were shots even the pros would probably have a difficult time saving. Gunderson made four saves in the game and remained a positive reinforcement for her defensive unit.

With a game against UW-Milwaukee Wednesday, Wisconsin will have just two days to make the adjustments needed to be victorious over its neighboring foe.

But having lost just one game thus far this season, UW has showed it is a force to be reckoned with and possesses the potential to deliver a solid performance and finish near the top of the conference standings.