Soccer all good with 1st place, charity

Coming off a 1-0 win over Illinois this weekend, the women’s soccer team is now tied for first place in the Big Ten with a record of 7-5-2.

The team is not only succeeding on the field but also off the field. Redshirt sophomore Michele Dalton has started a food drive where she is putting bags by everyone’s door to collect food and money. Last year the drive collected over $2,000 and four tons of food. This year the goal is to raise over $12,500.

“We’ve encouraged our players to go above and beyond, and I think Michele has done that,” UW head coach Paula Wilkins said.

Wilkins was impressed with the Badgers’ latest win, which came over the Fighting Illini — a team that was 5-1-1 at home.

“I don’t think our players realize how big of a win that was for our young group, especially since it’s only the second road win I’ve had since being here,” Wilkins said. “They are taking big steps right now, so we want to keep them climbing.”

The Badgers have won four of their past five games. Much of this can be credited to the defense, which didn’t allow a shot on goal at Illinois.

“The defense has stepped up and solidified themselves,” Wilkins said. “They are playing more as a team.”

Another key to the Badger’s success has been the play of the underclassmen.

“The non-conference schedule was tough, but now I think our youngsters have learned a lot from it and they are now a little bit more prepared,” Wilkins said.

Arguably the most impressive of all has been sophomore forward Laurie Nosbusch. She has been on an absolute tear lately, scoring three game-winning goals in the last three games. Nosbusch leads the team with five goals on the season. Wilkins credits part of Nosbusch’s success to the return of freshman forward Paige Adams. Adams, who missed 10 games leading up to the Purdue game, is another weapon for the Badgers who frees Nosbusch up for more scoring opportunities. Another key to Nosbusch’s success is the fact that she is finally healthy. “[Nosbusch] was wearing a face mask for the first 10 games of the season, which affected her ability to see the ball and see the field,” Wilkins said. “She was finally able to take the mask off after getting surgery on her broken nose.”

This weekend will prove to be critical as the Badgers go up against Ohio State and Penn State, who are both tied for third place and nipping at the heels of the Badgers.

“Two of the best Big Ten teams are coming into our homestead,” Wilkins said.

Both are big games, but the match against Penn State may come with more emotion, as Wilkins coached there from 2001-2006.

“It’s always an emotional game for me, but I think the energy that the team is bringing right now will make me less emotional this weekend,” Wilkins said.

This weekend is UW’s homecoming, which should give the Badgers a fair advantage. At least this is what Wilkins is hoping for.

“If we can get people to come out to the games, it will give us energy just like the Purdue game where our fans carried us,” Wilkins said.

With the Badger’s tied with Minnesota for first place in the Big Ten, they will need to bring their best effort night in and night out.

“It is going to come down to our last five games,” Wilkins said.