Women’s Hockey: Wisconsin overcomes slow start in game one, dominates weekend series

Curl, Wheeler emerge as offensive standouts in two conference battles
Soren Goldsmith

The University of Wisconsin women’s hockey program maintained their undefeated record over the weekend, defeating Bemidji State University twice in two days.

The two-game series began Oct. 20, with UW hosting the Beavers at LaBahn Arena in a Western College Hockey Association conference matchup.

Defense was the standout on the ice, as the Badgers utilized their defense and the quality play of goalkeeper Jane Gervais to hold Bemidji State to zero goals.

On the offensive end, UW had four goals scored by four different players during the matchup. While the offense has been able to put opponents behind early on in the season, it was a slower start for the Badgers in that sense.

After two scoreless periods, the cardinal and white found themselves locked in a tie with the Beavers. Despite this, in the final 20 minutes, UW put up those aforementioned four goals to win 4–0.

In their third conference win of the year, the offense was ignited by forward Casey O’Brien, a seasoned veteran who continues to produce on the offensive side of the puck. Defender Katie Kotlowski followed with a goal of her own, doubling the lead for the Badgers.

Women’s Hockey: Win No. 600 for Johnson part of conference-opening sweep for UW

Forwards Britta Curl and Cassie Hall finished the game off in a dominant fashion, each netting a goal of their own to complete a 4–0 victory.

That led the series into game two of the weekend, where UW got off to a quick start and never looked back — coasting to an 8–1 win.

About 42 seconds into the game, it was Curl once again who scored a goal for the Badgers — gifting assists to forward Lacey Eden and defender Anna Wilgren.

While the Beavers countered with a goal of their own later in the period, UW’s relentless offensive attack took over the match. Forwards Maddi Wheeler and Kirsten Simms led the way with two goals apiece by the end of the game.

The Badgers put up an impressive five goals in the second period to put this game to bed. They lit the lamp one more time in the third period via a goal from defender Vivian Jungels, extending their lead to 8–1, the eventual final score.

As the clock hit zero, UW notched their eighth victory in as many games — outscoring opponents 66–7 over the past four weekends.

The program once again secured their spot as the No. 1 ranked team in the nation in the U.S. College Hockey Online’s poll that was released earlier this week. That bodes well for the Badgers, who continue conference play Oct. 27 and Oct. 28 against the University of St. Thomas.