Women’s hockey: Badgers striving for perfection at home this weekend

Only two home games remain, and Wisconsin has one thing on its mind
Cody Schwartz

Wisconsin women’s hockey is striving for perfection.

The No. 2 Badgers (28-1-1, 22-1-1 WCHA) are undefeated so far at home, 16-0-0, and preparing for Minnesota State (3-23-4, 0-21-3 WCHA) this weekend.

This series will mark University of Wisconsin’s final regular season home game, as well as senior day, in what has been an incredible, record-setting campaign thus far.

Wisconsin is looking to extend its current winning streak to 11 games, a stretch that has now lasted more than a month. The Badgers have also built their second double-digit win streak in the regular season, which has 32 total games.

While senior day brings extra recognition and appreciation for the senior players, it also brings extra emotions and distractions.

“There are certainly more distractions with it being the last weekend for our seniors,” UW head coach Mark Johnson said. “A lot of their parents will be in town. There will be some introductions Sunday before the game, so it’s an emotional weekend for that group.”

Wisconsin currently has eight senior players, many of whom are wrapping up solid playing careers. But there won’t be much time for dwelling on sentiments with NCAA tournament seeding on the line.

In spite of the off-ice distractions, two of Wisconsin’s eight senior players, defenseman Courtney Burke and forward Rachel Jones, have been able to channel these emotions as motivation rather than distraction.

“I think [the emotion surrounding senior day] is a total motivation, no one wants to lose on their senior night,” Burke said. “It’s motivation to win, it’s motivation to protect LaBahn and it’s even more motivation to protect our season.”

Even though Burke and Jones are each wrapping up thier college careers, both players are excited for this weekend. If the Badgers are able to sweep the Mavericks this weekend, they will have already eclipsed the total number of regular season wins the two previous UW teams had in their seasons.

Senior day has also provided some of the most memorable moments in recent history for the Badgers, and this season’s team will be eager to create their own. Last season former captain Blayre Turnbull scored a hat trick off of three power-play goals.

Women’s hockey: Special senior night propels Badgers to series win over Bulldogs

“I think its just going to be exciting, all of our families are going to be here and we’re excited because we just want to win and I think that’s the big thing this weekend,” Jones said.

The Badgers have won at least 30 games in a season five times. Each of those times they went on to play in the national championship, winning four out of the five.

The series will kick off Friday, with a 2 p.m. matinee. The Badgers will then finish their final home game of the season 2 p.m. Sunday.