Wisconsin thumps Lindenwood in 5-1 rout

The Badgers looked a bit sloppy in the first period of their matchup Friday night, but that didn’t stop them from finding the back of the next six minutes into game one of the series, as they cruised to a 5-1 win.

Redshirt junior forward Brittany Ammerman’s shot was deflected off the stick of junior forward Karley Sylvester who redirected the puck into the net, tallying the first goal of the game.

Lindenwood was determined to put up a fight. A pass over the middle in front of Rigsby slipped through finding Lyndsay Kirkham of the Lions at the back post. The goal tied the game at one a piece and sparked something in the Badgers as they scored four unanswered goals to finish off the game.

The first came just 30 seconds after the Lindenwood’s goal. Sylvester notched her second point of the game when she found senior forward Madison Packer at the back post.

In the second period, the Badgers added two to their lead. Ammerman scored her, team leading, sixth goal of the season five minutes in off of an outside shot.

The next two goals were both the first of the girls’ career. First, Johnson’s daughter, sophomore forward Mikayla Johnson, put in her first as a Badger half way through the second period.

“Jones came down on the far side,” Mikayla Johnson said. “She pretty much gave me a perfect pass to my blade and it wasn’t too hard to tap it in.”

The Badgers lone goal of the third period was scored by Channell, who was able to slip the puck past Lindenwood goaltender Hensley.