Less than month before opening day, LaBahn sparkles

Last year, it took the men’s hockey team 15 steps to hit the ice. This fall, that ten-second walk turns into 59, from sitting in its new locker room to stepping on the ice.

This fall, Wisconsin hockey will unveil the much-anticipated LaBahn Arena. The new rink will serve as home ice to the highly successful women’s program as well as an on-campus practice facility for the men’s team, which previously practiced at the Alliant Center.

With just over a month left before the arena is ready for use, Herald Sports took a tour of the new facility, hard hats and all.

The tunnel connecting the Kohl Center and LaBahn Arena houses both the men’s and women’s hockey locker rooms as well as a sports medicine area. The entrances to both locker rooms are adorned with images of iconic moments from each program as well as a “By the Numbers” reminding each team of its numerous achievements.

Stepping through glass double doors, etched with a motion W, into the men’s locker room reveals an expansive tribute to all the UW players who have played and are currently playing in the NHL. The large locker room also houses a lounge (the eventual home of a ping pong table), a sauna for players, a video room and many other convenient features to facilitate coaching.

Just down the hall, several steps closer to LaBahn’s rink, lies the entrance to the women’s locker room. Passing through a similar set of glass doors leads one to a large lounge area which feeds into the actual locker room area itself, complete with a knee hockey rink.

With a quick walk through the rest of the tunnel, the women have a direct entrance to the ice from their bench. Standing near what will soon be center ice, the intimacy yet grandeur of LaBahn is overwhelming. Its 2,400 spectator capacity doesn’t touch the Kohl Center’s 15,237, but the size difference doesn’t detract from that inexplicable mixture or confidence and nerves one gets upon stepping on the ice.

A trip through the stands finally brings us to the main concourse. Arriving at LaBahn, fans will be greeted with artwork that celebrates both programs’ national titles, player of the year awards and All-American honors. There’s also a list of all UW skaters who have played in the Olympics, and a few steps away hang Mark Johnson and Bob Suter’s jerseys, honoring the “Miracle on Ice” duo from the 1980 Olympic team who played at Wisconsin.

To bring the tour to a close, we head up a level to the women’s hockey offices, which overlook the ice from the northeast corner and provide one of the best views of the untouched ice.

LaBahn Arena not only serves as home to the women’s hockey team and the men’s practice facility, but it also provides a beautiful recruiting tool for both squads.

It’s the final gem in Wisconsin hockey’s crown.