Johnson satisfied with efforts through playoff-like WCHA stretch

The pressure doesn’t let up for the University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team as it continues to face tough opponents early on this season.

At his weekly press conference Monday, head coach Mark Johnson highlighted the success of his team’s performance this past weekend, sweeping Minnesota-Duluth (3-3-0) on the road. This was the first time Wisconsin (7-1-0) has won both games on the road against the Bulldogs since 2002 and proved to be the necessary boost of confidence the Badgers needed coming off a loss to Minnesota the previous weekend at home.

“[I am] thrilled about the results from this past weekend playing up in Duluth as our first road trip of the season,” Johnson said. “I saw great individual effort.”

Starting off the series Friday night, Johnson noted the play senior forward and captain Hilary Knight gave the team. Knight scored a short-handed goal while the Badgers were on a penalty kill late in the game to put UW ahead 4-3. The score held out and gave UW its first road win.

Saturday night it was the individual effort of sophomore goalie Alex Rigsby that stood out to Johnson. Rigsby recorded 46 saves, 11 of which came on penalty kills. She fought off the constant pressure put on by the Bulldogs, who outshot Badgers 49 to 31, and gave UW the backing it needed to pull of a 6-3 win.

“The reason we won the game Saturday was because of Alex,” Johnson said. “She played very well for three periods, so she gave us the opportunity at the end of the game to win. She was able to make some big time saves and really give us an opportunity.”

Johnson said he sees Rigsby’s success so far this season as an accumulation of the experiences she’s had in her time as a Badger. Her freshman year, she came into summer camp in the process of recovering from surgery earlier that summer, putting her at an early physical disadvantage. She was able to rebuild her strength and skill within the season and assisted in bringing success to Wisconsin.

Her experience in the postseason last year is something Johnson said he views as priceless in the progression of his top goalie. Rigsby’s ability to defend the net and overcome the intense pressure of the playoffs to lead her team to a national championship is something that can’t be learned though mere practice.

This summer season, Rigsby was able to focus on her conditioning, putting her in top physical condition that is clearly having an impact this season.

“What she gained over the last two months of the season, you can’t duplicate in practice and have that type of situation where there is pressure on you; if the next goal goes in your season might be over,” Johnson said. “You are going to be more relaxed.”

While only October, the atmosphere the Badgers have faced in the past three weeks has been much like postseason play. The past three series, UW has faced off against fierce opponents North Dakota, Minnesota and most recently Minnesota-Duluth.

This coming weekend, the competition will be no less intense, as Boston University (5-1-1) will enter the Kohl Center seeking revenge after losing to Wisconsin in last year’s national championship game.

The need for vengeance will make for an exciting game, but the success Wisconsin has had thus far in the season against tough opponents makes Johnson confident looking forward, he said.

“It has been three weekends of playoff hockey, and by doing that and having that competition, it elevates your play right away,” Johnson said. “It’s only October and we’ve had six very difficult and very strong games, and we have become a better team playing each one of them.”

Adding to the elevated atmosphere surrounding the games this coming weekend will be the increased amount of fans in the Kohl Center due to Kids’ Day Friday afternoon. Johnson said he expects between 3,000 and 4,000 fans to be in attendance, which he added excites both him and his players.

“The energy level is high, there is a lot of noise in the building, so when the players come on the ice for warm-ups, there is a little excitement in the air at the Kohl Center,” Johnson said. “That is going to be fun for our players and certainly fun for BU to come into this atmosphere.”