Fresh start turns sour as Badgers get swept

VERONA — Season’s over.

Wisconsin’s reigning NCAA national champion women’s hockey team had its season ended in tear-jerking fashion Saturday as the Ohio State Buckeyes did not allow the Badgers a single win in the postseason.

After an unstable season, the Badgers were looking at the playoffs as a fresh start. Instead of a second chance they were confronted with nothing but losses, something the team has little experience with in the postseason.

“It’s tough, we’re not used to losing our first game in a playoff series and having tough competition like that,” sophomore forward Brooke Ammerman said.

Unable to shake the inconsistencies that have plagued them all season, the Badgers found themselves fighting to keep their season alive Saturday night. The seniors led the way, helping drive the game into overtime, but it wasn’t enough as the Buckeyes dominated the extra period.

Adjusting to the short playoff run was difficult for the Badgers.

In the past four years, Wisconsin has ended its season in the Frozen Four. To not even reach the NCAA tournament was heartbreaking.

“It’s really hard,” senior defender Kyla Sanders said. “Over the past four years we’ve always made it to the Frozen Four; it’s very different that’s for sure.”

“It’s a little sad,” senior goalie Alannah McCready added. “We definitely didn’t want to end it this way, but it’s how it happens so it’s time to move on.”

As the story has been all season, the Badgers were unable to stay consistent throughout both games. Friday they started strong, but blew a 2-0 lead in the second period.

In game two Saturday, the Badgers fell into a 0-2 deficit in the first eight minutes. They fought their way back, but still never really clicked at the Eagle’s Nest.

The Badgers were simply unable to stay consistent throughout all 60 minutes of the games.

“The key word today was consistency,” DeKeyser said. “Almost the entire game aside from those first couple minutes of the first we weren’t coming out very strong, but from then on we figured out you need to be consistent. … That’s something we’ve got to work on. We’ve got to be consistent for 60 minutes; we can’t start strong and then not finish strong. It’s a work in progress.”

Senior forward Jasmine Giles credits the inconsistencies to never overcoming the changes the team faced this year.

“It’s rough. All of our other seasons have been ended in the Frozen Four, in the final game,” Giles said. “It was a tough year. We had so many new faces and a whole new coaching staff. It was just something we didn’t overcome. We were getting there, but we didn’t do it.”

No matter how upsetting the losses are, the squad can only learn from the experience and move forward.

“It’s a heavy moment in the locker room right now, obviously for our seniors who’ve had pretty tremendous careers here as Badgers and to have it cut short, this is different for them and it’s tough,” interim head coach Tracey DeKeyser said. “We talked about how losing can help you understand what it takes to win. Hopefully the returners understand that you don’t just get handed trophies or championships.”

DeKeyser credits the seniors for the determination they have had throughout their careers.

“I thought it was nice fitting that Sanders scored the tying goal and (Emily) Kranz played excellent all weekend defensively,” DeKeyser said. “Giles has contributed tremendously over the past three series with quite a few points, and [McCready] was able to get starts in net both night; just give them credit for surviving right to the very last second.”