Women’s hockey still unbeaten

[media-credit name=’GREG DIXON/Herald file photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WH_No2_GED[/media-credit]

The University of Wisconsin women’s hockey preserved its unbeaten record with a pair of wins over defending national champion Minnesota Duluth this weekend at the Kohl Center.

The Badgers narrowly escaped defeat in both games but managed to come out of the weekend with two hard-fought victories to improve to 10-0-2 on the season.

Just a week after falling in the first shootout in Wisconsin women’s hockey history to Minnesota, Wisconsin sophomore Kelly Nash scored the only goal in Saturday’s shootout after a 2-2 tie to give the Badgers the win over Duluth.

Nash once again proved her versatility, as she not only scored the game-winning goal but also moved up to the third line when senior captain Erika Lawler had to leave the game following a game misconduct penalty in the first period. Nash has also spent time on the first line when leading scorer Hilary Knight was out of the lineup earlier in the season.

“I just love getting out on the ice,” Nash said following Saturday’s win. “I always feel bad for the player that is hurt, but I just love getting out there. It doesn’t matter who I play with.”

The first period of Saturday’s contest saw the Bulldogs score a pair of quick goals and the Badgers lose Lawler to a game misconduct when she skated into Bulldog goalie Kim Martin. Senior Angie Keseley answered late in the second period when she knocked in a power play goal off defenseman Alycia Matthew’s slap-shot from the point. An assist was also credited to senior Jasmine Giles.

Freshman sensation Brooke Ammerman tied the game for the Badgers early in the third period when her backhanded shot flew past UMD’s Martin for the freshman’s 12th goal in as many games. Ammerman, second only to Knight in the nation in goal scoring, has transformed a typically defensive third line for Wisconsin into an offensive force.

Lawler, among others, has taken notice.

“Brooke as a freshman is obviously stepping up huge for us,” Lawler said. “Having that solid center on the third line is important for us. Brooke is such an asset; she just gets stuff done. Brooke scores goals, is a smart player and always makes something happen out there.”

When the remainder of the third period and the overtime period produced no goals, it was up to a shootout to decide who would come away with the extra point. Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson went with a young lineup consisting of sophomores Knight and Nash and the freshman Ammerman. Duluth opted to use their entire first line: center Haley Irwin and wingers Laura Fridfinnson and Pernilla Winberg.

UW goaltender Jessie Vetter continued her solid play in denying all three Bulldogs in the shootout, and Nash’s goal proved to be all the Badgers needed.

Friday afternoon’s fast-paced game was another close contest between the WCHA rivals. When an evenly-played first period produced no goals, the Bulldogs wasted no time breaking the tie in the second as Sara O’Toole scored under a minute into the period. Lawler responded just minutes later with a goal of her own off assists from Knight and Keseley to tie the game.

Once again, it was Ammerman’s backhand that proved the difference, as the freshman’s shot late in the second period of Friday’s contest found the back of the net and provided the Badgers with all the cushion they needed to leave with a win.

“I cut to the net, and the puck just ended up going in,” Ammerman said. “It was awesome after we got that first goal because we just keep coming. Then we got that second one and put them back on their heels and kept it going from there.”

Two consecutive successful weekends against two of the top teams in the WHCA in Minnesota and Minnesota-Duluth have the Badgers riding a wave of confidence, and Vetter is pleased with her team’s performance at this juncture in the season.

“I think we’re playing really good hockey,” Vetter said. “As long as we continue to play 60 full minutes, and we continue to come out strong in the third period and score the goals we need to, we will be okay. We’re doing a good job handling whatever comes at us; we’re just playing really good hockey.”