Freshmen make early impact

The Wisconsin women’s hockey program doesn’t rebuild: It reloads. Although the team has only played two series, the freshman class has already made clear there will not be a lengthy period of acclimation.

A weekend after freshman forward Carolyne Prevost inaugurated her career with two goals and an assist versus Quinnipiac, Brooke Ammerman, a center, netted four goals on Saturday and five for the series. After an important goal Friday which gave the Badgers some breathing room, Ammerman scored early and even accidentally on Saturday.

“I tried to pass it like four times,” Ammerman said of her fourth goal. “I just got lucky and caught the goalie cheating.”

Not to be overshadowed, freshman defenseman Brittany Haverstock added two assists, raising her season total to six.

The Badgers defeated Syracuse 3-0 and 8-0 to improve to 4-0-0 on the season, including three shutouts.

Haverstock credited the team’s upperclassmen with making the transition to college hockey easy.

“After every shift they’re like ‘Good job out there. This is what you should do better. This is what we could do to get better,'” Haverstock said. “It’s awesome. They’re always being positive.”

Ammerman too attributed her early success to the talent around her.

“It’s been easy … because we have so many dynamic offensive players,” Ammerman said. “I get more opportunities because everyone’s focusing on someone else.”

Even though Ammerman defers acclaim, she arrived with a reputation of high scoring. In 74 games at the North American Hockey Academy, Ammerman recorded 62 goals and 56 assists for 118 points.

Both Haverstock and Prevost showed their promise in the Provincial Women’s Hockey League. In 10 games, Prevost led the team in goals and points with eight and 12 and ranked second in the league with five power-play goals.

Haverstock, in 14 games, tallied two goals and five assists. Additionally, Haverstock was selected to play for Canada’s Under-22 team. She faced future teammates Erika Lawler, Meghan Duggan and Hilary Knight in a three-game U.S.-Canada series in August.

On playing at Wisconsin, Haverstock paid respect to the legacy of the program.

“It gives us a lot of confidence to know that other people have been back there,” Haverstock said. “The tradition at Wisconsin is just amazing, and all the great players that are here. … They keep you working.”

For the Badgers, who lost three seniors, including the school record-holder for goals and games played, Jinelle Zaugg, the freshmen have been crucial.

Coach Mark Johnson was pleased with the team’s second series, as well as the play of his freshmen.

“The kids played hard; we got challenged, but it’s good, that’s how you get better,” Johnson said. “With younger players, especially early in the season, you want to get them to be confident.”

Ammerman reported that getting some games under her belt was relieving.

“[I am] definitely feeling a lot more comfortable,” Ammerman said. “I was comfortable to begin with, but everyone’s just very supportive. It’s really fun to play here.”

Haverstock said sticking to the basics is important in making the transition to the Division I level.

“Just moving the puck quick and communicating with everyone on the ice,” Haverstock said. “That’s really the two keys. Just playing your game and sticking to that.”

With all the freshmen filling different roles, the team’s depth has been obvious in the first two weekends. It will need that depth as the team opens up conference play next weekend in Columbus against Ohio State. The following weekend the Badgers will host rival Minnesota.

“It’s our first road trip,” Haverstock said. “It’s really exciting.”