Sophomores carry key to Big Ten success

In collegiate sports, seniors are not only the most experienced players, but often the emotional and mental leaders of the entire team as well. It is the duty of the seniors to perform well in pressure situations as well as serve as mentors for the younger teammates.

Unfortunately for the Wisconsin men’s tennis team, there is not a single senior on the roster. In fact, there are only two upperclassmen on a team of 11.

With a lack of senior players, the recent success of the 8-5 Badgers has been due to a rising sophomore class. Without an obvious, defined leader, the second-year players have made a commitment to put the team on their backs.

Head coach Greg Van Emburgh is looking for the class of 2014 to make its mark this season.

“I think they’re gaining experience, and I think they can have a major impact on this team,” Van Emburgh said. “We’re looking for them to take more of a leadership role than they would normally do when you have a couple of seniors on the team.”

The prospect of youth can be a double-edged sword for any team – it can provide a sense of energy and allow for significant improvement among younger players, but a lack of experience can hinder any team over a lengthy season.

In the case of the Badgers, the young players have quickly gained experience by facing challenging opponents on the road. Five of Wisconsin’s six road matches this season have been against ranked opponents, and the team was able to earn its first win away from the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in its most recent road test against Idaho.

Van Emburgh said he thinks the tough schedule early in the season will prepare the team for difficult upcoming conference matches.

“It was imperative for them to play those top teams and experience that,” Van Emburgh said. “I think they’ll be up for the challenge in our next matches in the Big Ten conference because this year the Big Ten Conference is very, very strong.”

It’s no stretch to say the Big Ten is strong this year, as eight of Wisconsin’s remaining 10 conference matches are ranked, four of which are in the top 25.

The looming matches create an opportunity for the sophomore class to contribute to the team. Half of the singles lineup consists of sophomores, as does four of the six doubles players.

With a menacing schedule ahead of them, it remains to be seen if the Badgers can succeed in Big Ten play with their only conference match thus far being a 6-1 loss to rival Minnesota. Sophomore Rod Carey recognized the key to the team’s success is to maintain its focus and jump ahead early in matches.

“I just want to keep doing the things we’ve been doing, playing good and just stay focused, make sure [to] try to get early starts in our matches and try to get on top of them early,” Carey said.

The Bahamas native has picked up his singles game since a three-match skid stalled his progress. He has won five of six efforts, with all of his victories coming in straight sets.

Fellow sophomore Petr Satral has also provided a boost to the bulk of the singles lineup. Prevailing in four of his last five matches, he said the best way to lead a team is to serve as an example on the court.

“I will definitely try to be a leader and try to help my team at the best possible way,” Satral said. “I will try to just win as many matches as possible.”

Van Emburgh has been thrilled with the way two of his star sophomores have played recently.

“[Carey and Satral] really starting to grow into their responsibility,” Van Emburgh said. “If they’re playing the type of tennis I know that they can produce, I think they’re going to have a great season. I think they’ve both really turned it around, and I look for a lot of success for them for the rest of the year.”

With the sophomores thriving as of late, the team appears to have plenty to look forward to. The young players have a lot of potential, but confidence and motivation will be essential if the Badgers are to succeed in conference competitions.

A clash with the No. 25 Michigan Wolverines on Friday will test the youth of the Badgers lineup more so than previous non-conference matchups. Even without senior leadership, Carey said everyone on the team is pursuing the same goal.

“Because there’s no seniors on the team and no real captain or leader, it’s more like a group effort,” Carey said. “Everyone has to try to put the same amount of effort in to make the team because there’s no one really leading, so we all have to try to kind of push the team in the right direction together.”