Men’s soccer: Offense continues to struggle, leads to 2-0 loss to No. 19 Xavier

Another game, another goalless performance, as the Wisconsin men’s soccer team falls to Xavier 2-0 on Sunday night.

After a scoreless first half, Xavier roared out of the gates after the interval. Thirty seconds into the second half, the Musketeers swung the ball out wide to sophomore midfielder Matt Nance. Nance ran towards the end line and curled a ball into the center of the six-yard box. Fellow sophomore midfielder Josh Grant was on hand to rise above two Badger defenders to head home the opening goal and break the deadlock. UW goalkeeper Casey Beyers was able to get fingertips on the ball, diving low to his left, but wasn’t able to get enough on it to prevent Xavier from taking the lead.

No. 19 Xavier (2-0-0) opened the second half pressuring high up the field, causing Wisconsin to struggle to hold onto possession. Wisconsin head coach John Trask said the change in the playing style of both teams after half altered the game.

“The first half was a very good performance by us. Unfortunately, they stepped it up and we let our guard down a little bit,” Trask said. “They were the aggressor. They took it to us in the second half so compliment to Xavier.”

The Badgers (0-2-0) had a difficult time with Xavier counter attacks all evening, and the Musketeers came close to doubling their advantage when sophomore Matt Vasquenza cut the ball back to Jalen Brown. The resulting shot was blocked in the nick of time by Wisconsin’s freshman center back Sam Brotherton.

Xavier soon found the second goal they were looking for. After Brotherton had brought down Xavier forward Eric McWoods just outside of the box, although it was a very close decision, the Musketeers had a dangerous free kick 18 yards out. Senior midfielder Alex Ridsdale stepped up to take the kick, which ended up deflecting off the arm of a Wisconsin defender, and Xavier was rewarded with a penalty kick.

Ridsdale was the man to take the penalty, and he put the ball past Beyers, sending the Badger goalkeeper diving the opposite way.

Wisconsin struggled to really test Xavier goalkeeper Vince Shaw even after switching to three defenders in the back. The Badgers were only able to muster one shot on goal in the second half.

“They raised their game and we dropped off,” Trask said. “We had some good attacks tonight that we didn’t finish, but we need to tighten things up and we will.”

The Badgers will look to bounce back next weekend and pick up that elusive first win of the year as they travel to California to take on UC-Santa Clara Friday.