Men’s soccer: Slow offense mires season opener in 1-0 loss to Butler

Mens soccer: Slow offense mires season opener in 1-0 loss to Butler

With a new season on hand, the Wisconsin men’s soccer team was hoping to start off on the right foot. But they didn’t get off to a positive start after losing to Butler 1-0 at the McClimon Complex on Friday night.

The breakthrough for Butler came in the 65th minute. UW had a free kick deep in Butler territory, leaving the Badgers exposed for a counter attack. The Bulldogs broke down the pitch setting up a 4-on-2. Butler senior midfielder Vincent Mitchell slipped the ball into the path of sophomore midfielder Eric Leonard, who beat his man, then slid a pass to sophomore Bennett Kim who calmly slotted past Wisconsin goalkeeper Casey Beyers into the lower left corner. It was the first touch of the game for Kim, who had just entered the game.

Kim’s goal, his first in a Butler uniform, proved to be the game-winner.

The goal changed the complexion of the match as the Badgers peppered the Bulldog goalkeeper Eric Dickwith nine shots in the second half as they searched for the equalizer.

However, it was the Bulldogs’ junior forward David Goldsmith who almost put the game to bed when he went one-on-one with Beyers, only to see his shot dink of the left post.

The best chance for the Badgers to tie things up was through the play and movement of sophomore midfielder Chris Mueller. He dribbled his way into the box after a pretty back-heel pass from senior midfielder Drew Conner. Mueller cut to the inside to shoot from 10 yards out, but his shot was blocked thanks to a last-ditch slide tackle from Butler defender Joe Moulden.

Wisconsin continued to pile on the pressure, but Eric Dick produced six saves to keep the Badgers attack at bay and secure the first win of the season for Butler.

The Badgers look to get their first victory of the season as they host nationally-ranked Xavier on Sunday at the McClimon Complex. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.

The Bulldogs (1-0-0) dominated possession in the first 10 minutes of the contest, making it difficult for the Badgers to get into the game. Wisconsin finally recorded their first shot on goal almost 20 minutes into the match.

Things changed offensively for the Badgers (0-1-0) after the introduction of sophomore midfielders Mark Segbers and Mueller. Segbers drew a free kick with his first touch of the game. Fellow sophomore midfielder Mike Catalano forced Dick to make a fingertip save on the resulting free kick.

The best chance of the match for either team in the first half came in the 30th minute. Mitchell received a through ball behind the Badger defense and was left one-on-one with Beyers. Mitchell rounded Beyers and was about to put the Bulldogs up 1-nil, but sophomore defender Enda O’Neill cleared the ball off the line, saving the Badgers for the time being.

With nine minutes played in the second half, Conner set up the best chance of the game for the Badgerst, when he fed a through ball into the feet of sophomore forward Tom Barlow. Barlow drove towards the end line and then cut back the ball to Segbers who slid his shot agonizingly wide of the post. The Badgers would come to rue missing such an opportunity.

Super Sophomores

Following a 2014 season that relied heavily on freshmen to step into the starting XI, a year of maturity has gone a long way. The duo of Mike Catalano and Alex Masbruch played all 90 minutes for the Badgers. Additionally, nine of the 11 shots UW recorded came from five different sophomores, including Mueller, Barlow, and Segbers.

Mueller and Segbers were constant threats, using their pace and nimbleness to slither past defenders to whip in crosses to the on-waiting Barlow.

Badgers See Yellow

Three players from UW were booked in the first contest of the season. Freshman defender Sam Brotherton was the first to be disciplined following a hard tackle of Butler forward Vincent Mitchell. Sophomore forward Nick Jones was also carded for pulling back a Butler attacker in the 60th minute. Captain Drew Conner was the last to receive a booking following a late challenge in the 87th minute.

Butler Man of the Match

Senior midfielder Vincent Mitchell was a constant threat for the Bulldogs all night long. Mitchell terrorized the right side of the Wisconsin defense, often slipping behind the Badger back line. He was unlucky not to score in the first half when his shot was cleared off the line. Mitchell finished the game with one shot (on goal) while also notching his first assist of the season.

Wisconsin Man of the Match

Christopher Mueller put in a solid performance in the first outing of the season for the sophomore midfielder. Mueller recorded two shots, both on goal, and came close to finding the back of the net to tie up the game for the men in cardinal and white.