Men’s crew hits water in Boston to open year

The Wisconsin men’s rowing team, coming off a season in which they were crowned IRA national champions, will hit the water for the first time this season this weekend at the Head of the Charles meet in Boston.

Despite the fact that this meet has no bearing on the regular season, UW head coach Chris Clark is still excited for the race, as he knows the prominence of rowing in the northeast adds to the excitement of beginning a new season.

“It’s the first time guys will put on a uniform here at Wisconsin and race since last June,” Clark said in his press conference Monday. “Rowing is a part of life there at Boston. A couple hundred thousand people show to this regatta. It’s a big scene and a lot of fun. There’s 8,500 competitors, and in our particular event there’s about 40 teams. Last year we finished second in the race and were the top college finisher behind only the U.S. Olympic team.”

However, Clark knows that this race is only a warm-up for the regular season.

“This could be considered preseason, and as much as we’d like to do well here, the races in the spring are the ones that count. It’s an exciting start to the season though, that’s for sure,” Clark said. “[Tuesday] morning will actually be the first time we row our lineup for this race. It will be tough. It always is because there’s not a lot of preparation involved.”

Veterans lead the way

The lack of preparation time won’t hurt the Badgers as much as it could because the team returns six of their top nine rowers from last season.

The team lost senior coxswain Adam Barhamand and seniors Derek Rasmussen and Joe McMullin, but returns seniors Grant and Ross James, Max Goff, Zach Krupp, Ed Newman and George Walters from the national championship roster.

Clark knows this experience will help his team but isn’t making any guarantees.

“Let’s assume that those six will be back and better than ever. And that’s a big assumption. I have no idea who will fill those other spots,” Clark said. “The seniors have to realize that they have to better than the year before and that’s a tough thing to do. They aren’t guaranteed spots, but I’ll be very unhappy if they’re not in that top boat.”

Clark also realizes that things may not always be as good as they are now for the Badgers.

“I know I’ll be looking back next year and thinking, ‘These were the good old days.’ And I know how quickly things change,” Clark said. “I’m enjoying it while I’ve got guys that are this talented, and some of them really are.”

In looking forward to this season, Clark knows that it won’t be easy to repeat but is looking forward to the challenge.

“Whatever the feeling I had after last season, I want it again,” Clark said. “It wasn’t flashy, but it sure felt good.”