Third period proves costly as Badgers lose fifth straight

North Dakota scores three third period goals to upend Wisconsin in first home tilt

Despite leading North Dakota after two periods, The Wisconsin men’s hockey team was unable to come out with a victory Friday night as the Badgers dropped their home opener 4-2.

With Friday night’s loss, Wisconsin’s record sank to 0-5-0 to the start the season as it is still in search of its first win this season.

“There were moments we were good and moments we weren’t good,” Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves said after the game. “They played at a higher pace and with a higher tenacity.”

While the scoreboard didn’t show it for the first two periods, North Dakota was the better team Friday night from start to finish, firing over twice as many shots on goal and frequently occupying Wisconsin’s defensive zone. But despite giving up four goals, Badger goaltender Joel Rumpel was a bright spot for Wisconsin and had many big saves that allowed the game to remain close throughout.

According to Eaves, the team will be relying on Rumpel to hold things down while the team continues to grow into themselves.

“Rumpel is going to have to play well, steady the ship, let us get some experience, and then we can start figuring out how to win some games,” Eaves said.

After a slow start by both teams, North Dakota controlled much of the play in the first period and outshot the Badgers 12-7.

Both teams came out firing in the second period and wasted no time getting shots on goal. Following a North Dakota hooking penalty, Wisconsin defensemen Chase Drake put the Badgers up 1-0 with a power play goal four minutes in, which was their time first leading all season.

Unfortunately for Wisconsin that lead would be short-lived. Three minutes later, North Dakota tied on the game on a power play goal of its own when forward Connor Gaardner put in a rebound that came from a slap shot.

Despite North Dakota controlling most of the second period, Badger forward Jedd Soleway put Wisconsin back on top with just over a minute left in second with a wrist shot that found the far top corner of the net.

“We had a 2-1 lead in the third period going up against the number two team in the country we would have taken that if someone told me that would have been it,” Eaves said of his team’s attitude heading into the third.

The third period was all North Dakota as Wisconsin had trouble staying out of the penalty box for much of the final 20 minutes. UND took advantage of key Wisconsin penalties by scoring another power play goal and then a shorthanded tally, giving them three total special teams goals for the game. After the second power play goal gave North Dakota its first lead of the game, a breakaway goal by UND forward Michael Parks gave North Dakota a comfortable 4-2 lead.

With 18 seconds left in the game, Badgers Drake brought Wisconsin within one with a slap shot goal, but it would not be enough to escape defeat.

In addition to losing the game, the Badger lost junior defenseman Eddie Wittchow to injury indefinitely as he suffered a broken finger in the latter stages of the first period.

The Badgers had to replace Wittchow with inexperienced freshmen defensemen. That proved to be a big struggle, according to Eaves.

“It’s like biking against a 40 mile per hour wind,” Eaves said. “It’s tough work.”

Wisconsin captain Chase Drake said that the team had a tough time accepting the loss considering how much effort they put into the game.

“We were hungry, we all wanted to win that game,” Drake said. “I think we’re all frustrated right now.”

The Badgers will have chance to avenge Friday’s frustrating loss and capture their first since this season when they rematch North Dakota in the second game of their two-game series Saturday night at 7 p.m.