Men’s hockey opens with loss, rebounds with tie

WS1_SG
The Wisconsin men\’s hockey team opened up its season with a 3-2 defeat to Colorado College, followed by a 1-1 tie Saturday.[/media-credit]

While the Wisconsin men’s hockey team were looking forward to a fresh start this Friday, the Badgers are already showing signs of repeating last year’s disappointing season.

After squandering another third period lead in the season opener that looked reminiscent of last year’s games, the Badgers only managed one goal in a 1-1 tie Saturday against Colorado College.

A slow start quickly put the Badgers in a hole in the series finale. Not only did the Tigers outshoot Wisconsin 15-6 in the opening period, but the Badgers also had three penalties in the first six minutes of the game. Back-to-back infractions by juniors Cody Goloubef and Ryan McDonagh put UW in a 5-on-3 disadvantage, and the Tigers made them pay.

Moments before Goloubef’s penalty ended, Colorado’s Nate Prosser found himself positioned by UW goalie Scott Gudmandson and found the net to give the Tigers an early lead. Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves found the poor performance in the first period unacceptable.

“We got outskated, outshot and outhit,” Eaves said. “Did we use all our energy on opening night? I’m not sure, but we have to answer those questions.”

Gudmandson recovered quickly and the Badgers stayed out of the penalty box for the next 25 minutes, but the offense continued to stall. Colorado College goalie Joe Howe denied the Badger attack in the first two periods, while benefiting from several Wisconsin shots hitting the post.

The UW offense clearly missed captain Blake Geoffrion, who left Friday’s game with a concussion after scoring Wisconsin’s first goal of the season. Without the senior forward, the offense went 0-for-5 on the power play.

“When [Geoffrion is] not on the power play we miss him, because he settles that group down, and gives them some savvy,” Eaves said. “We miss him in that regard, but we have to learn to play without him.”

One of Wisconsin’s other experienced captains, senior Ben Street, finally gave the Badgers the spark they had been looking for.

Seconds after UW killed off a Patrick Johnson hooking penalty, Street found himself with a clean breakaway early in the third period. Although Street’s initial shot was off the mark, Street quickly found himself in position again to score. After circling around the net, Street caught a loose puck in the air and fired a slapshot despite being positioned behind the red line.

“It came back down, I kind of looked at the goalie and saw he was playing a little off his line,” Street said. “Not much had been working so far so I might as well try and bank one in. Luckily it worked out.”

Wisconsin failed to capitalize on other opportunities it had in the third period and overtime, but Scott Gudmandson stopped the last 23 shots he faced to preserve the tie. The goaltender was pleased with his effort despite the mishaps early in the game.

“I thought I played pretty well,” Gudmandson said. “There were a couple times that I struggled covering the puck but other (than) that I thought I played a pretty decent game.”

Friday’s game featured more offense, as the Badgers lost 3-2 in a wild game.

Just 28 seconds into the contest, McDonagh’s clean hit on Colorado College’s Mike Testwuide sent the CC captain to the bench for the remainder of the game.

“They’re both 220 pounds, that’s a tremendous hit,” Eaves said. “It was a colossal collision that’s for sure.”

The check set the stage for a physical game between the two teams. During one altercation five minutes into the game, 11 penalties were issued between the two teams. The Tigers, who had only five of the penalties, went on the power play and the game finished with 20 penalties.

Geoffrion’s scored the game’s first goal in the first period, as the Badger’s captain was able to sneak the puck in from the red line.

Wisconsin’s second goal was equally impressive, as sophomore Derek Stepan sliced his way through two Colorado College defenders to set up a streaking Andy Bombach on the left side of the goal. Bombach’s wrist shot put the Badgers up by a pair of goals, but the lead would not last for long.

The Tigers scored two goals within five minutes of Bombach’s one-timer, and the complexion of the game completely changed. With neither team taking many risks, the score remained at 2-2 until the Tigers’ Tyler Johnson fired a turnaround slap shot past goaltender Brett Bennett.

“He just stuffed it five hole; it’s been a common theme I feel recently,” Bennett said. “That puck needs to be saved.”

With only one point earned from a possible four, the Badgers know they have some adjustments to make before their next series against Minnesota State.

“We really struggled offensively, last night and tonight,” Eaves said. “We’re going to have to go back to work.”