Men’s basketball: Gard finalizes coaching staff for 2016-17

After promotion and two contract renewals, stability is brought to program

Greg Gard finalized the structure of Wisconsin men’s basketball’s 2016-17 coaching staff Tuesday, bringing much-needed stability after a year of transition.

After finishing his sixth year as an assistant coach, Lamont Paris was promoted to associate head coach. Assistant coach Howard Moore and director of operations Kat Vosters each renewed their contracts.

Paris joined the Wisconsin coaching staff in 2010 under then-head coach Bo Ryan and has since enjoyed success in each of his seasons in Madison. Moore was also a longtime assistant under Ryan from 2005-10, and rejoined the staff in December 2015 when Gard assumed the role of head coach.

Vosters, despite only graduating in 2013, will enter her eighth season with the Badgers. The 2016-17 season will be Vosters’ third season as director of basketball operations, after spending four seasons as an undergraduate manager and one as a program assistant.

“I’m very excited to be able to keep Lamont, Howard and Kat on staff,” Gard said. “Having continuity within our program is important and each of these three individuals brings a valuable skill set and the character that makes Wisconsin basketball so successful.

“I am also very pleased to elevate Lamont to associate head coach. He is richly deserving of the title change and added responsibilities. From on-court coaching, recruiting and player development, to camps, he will have a major role in everything we do.”

After the departure of Gary Close, a Wisconsin assistant for 13 years, Joe Krabbenhoft was named as replacement last week to round out the assistant coaching staff.

In a season that saw the sudden departures of Ryan and Close, and was just as crazy on the court, finalizing the coaching staff brings stability the team didn’t have this season.