Women’s Hockey: Badgers off to blazing start against Lindenwood

Reigning national champions absolutely dismantled Lions on their way to definitive 2-0 start
Elliot Moormann

The University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team (2-0), coming off a national title in their previous season, chose to send a message in this year’s opening series against Lindenwood (0-2). 

That message? We’re back. 

They opened their season with a 4–0 victory over Lindenwood on the Lions’ home ice. This early season domination harkens back to last year’s opening series in which the Badgers once again imposed their will on the Lions. 

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2019/09/26/womens-hockey-badgers-open-season-against-familiar-opponent-lindenwood/

While it’s quite early to already be making comparisons between the two seasons, Friday’s game gave a bit of insight as to who will be leading the Badgers in a post-Pankowski landscape. 

Sophomore Sophie Shirley certainly seems to be back in business following a highly impressive freshman year. She led the Badgers in scoring with two goals and an assist in their season opener. 

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2019/04/02/womens-hockey-a-look-back-at-wisconsins-incredible-championship-season/

Junior transfer Daryl Watts also managed to score her first goal for the Badgers since leaving Boston College. Watts picked up two assists on the night as well. 

Kristen Campbell emerged once again as a stalwart goalie as she succeeded in thwarting all 17 shots she faced at the hands of the Lions. 

Saturday’s game proved to be a similar story as the Badgers had another four-goal victory over the Lions with a score of 6–2.

Six individual team members contributed to this impressive scoreline throughout the game and even managed to have a four-minute stretch in the first period in which they scored three goals. 

This rapid-fire goal scoring, while Lindenwood was able to retaliate with two goals of their own, ultimately sealed the deal early in the game for the Badgers. 

Lindenwood was not expected to be a tough test for the reigning national champs, but Wisconsin certainly looked strong nonetheless. A revamped roster and strong returning talent certainly has the potential to play out well in the long run as their season develops. 

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2019/09/10/womens-hockey-roster-consistencies-signal-renewed-opportunities-for-2019-erg-sde/

The Badgers will take on Penn State this weekend at the LaBahn Arena before opening up conference play against The Ohio State University the following week.