Men’s hockey: Badgers bow out of Big Ten Tournament after loss to Penn State

Unfortunate bounces seal Wisconsin’s fate in final loss of season
Elliot Moormann

Despite repeated efforts and promises of growth, a second-consecutive disappointing season for University of Wisconsin men’s hockey is in the books.

The Badgers (8-19-8) bowed out of the Big Ten Tournament Thursday against No. 19 Penn State after a 5-2 loss in which the Badgers outshot the Nittany Lions 37-29.

A common theme of this season — Wisconsin was once again unable to put the puck in the back of the net despite numerous chances.

“We hung around; just didn’t sink,” head coach Mike Eaves said. “Once again, we were close like all year, but just didn’t get to come away with it.”

After a quick first period where Penn State scored twice, Luke Kunin scored his 19th goal of the season to bring the Badgers within one. The closeness of the game would only last for another 10 minutes, though, as Penn State tallied twice in two minutes to open a three goal lead.

Grant Besse scored an early third period goal, his 11th of the season, but it was to no avail as Penn State held the Badgers scoreless for the rest of the period and then netted an empty-netter to seal the game with 43 seconds left.

Wisconsin was unable to make the most of four Penn State penalties, going 0-4 on the afternoon while maintaining discipline themselves. Kevin Schulze was the only Badger to take a penalty — a second period interference with the Badgers successfully killing the ensuing Nittany Lions’ power play.

Kunin’s goal was a bright-spot for the Badgers though.

After a tough stop at their own blue-line, Corbin McGuire brought the puck up on a 3-on-4 rush and dropped it back to Cameron Hughes, while drawing a defender with him to give Hughes space. Hughes, at the far face-off circle then rifled a pass through the four defenders to a charging Kunin at the far side of the net for a challenging tap-in.

The chemistry building between Wisconsin’s players late in the season, shown during the play, is not lost due to the end of the season.

With a roster comprised heavily of freshmen and sophomores, Wisconsin will have a solid, talented core to build on going forward.

But for the three seniors, their collegiate careers came to an end with the loss. Adam Miller, Schulze and Eddie Wittchow each played their final game as Badgers, with Wittchow leaving his mark as a third period assist on Besse’s goal.

While the result was less than desired, Wisconsin must build towards a more stable future.

Matt Jurusik, who’s gained valuable experience, will continue to improve after withstanding barrage after barrage of shots this season, 1,055 for second-most in the Big Ten.

Jurusik made 24 stops on 28 shots and received little luck on the afternoon with two of the goals coming from unfortunate deflections.

“I thought we came out and played really well,” Eaves said. “We were doing the things we wanted to. At the end of the first period, it didn’t seem like it should have been a 2-0 lead for them, but that’s athletics at times.”

After being named top-prospects for the upcoming NHL draft, Jurusik and Kunin will have plenty to look forward after the conclusion of this season for Wisconsin. But for now, their sights, along with those of the rest of Wisconsin’s returning players, will be set on next season and putting these losses behind them.