Women’s soccer: Wisconsin’s Lavelle named to US U-23 National Team

Team will play three matches in Croatia in early March
Jason Chan

The Wisconsin women’s soccer team’s Rose Lavelle was named to the U.S. U-23 Women’s National Team roster Tuesday, and will play in three matches as part of the Istria Cup in Croatia.

Lavelle is one of 20 players named to the team after she got the opportunity to join the national team on their Victory Tour in December and then went on to train with the full national team in Los Angeles in January.

Her spot was earned after her breakout 2015 campaign with the Badgers, where she led the team to a share of the Big Ten regular season conference title.

Women’s soccer: Wisconsin junior midfielder Rose Lavelle named semifinalist for MAC Hermann Trophy, called up for U.S. National Team stint

Lavelle had a team-high 17 points for UW this season, recording seven goals and three assists. Those numbers allowed her to be named a first-team All-American — Wisconsin’s first since 1991 — and the 2015 Big Ten Midfielder of the Year.

The midfielder also was named a semifinalist for the 2015 MAC Hermann Trophy, which is given to the top individual player in all of college soccer.

Team USA will open competition on March 2 with a match against the Slovenia Women’s National Team, and competition could extend to as long as March 7.

Women’s soccer: Lavelle, unsure at start of college career, has found home at Wisconsin