Volleyball: Multiple Badgers take home Big Ten honors

Four Badgers awarded regular season accolades Tuesday night
Jason Chan

Adding to the already successful 2015 regular season the Wisconsin volleyball team had, four Badgers were awarded Big Ten honors Tuesday night. Only a day from postseason play for Wisconsin, these players would like to keep the success that earned these accolades continuing.

Lauren Carlini

Setter of the Year, first-team all-Big Ten

Lauren Carlini solidified her rise to dominance during the 2015 campaign in which she averaged 11.91 assists per set (most in the Big Ten and seventh in the nation) and a hitting percentage of .253. Her leadership guided a Badgers program from a shaky start to the No. 6 seed in the NCAA tournament while playing every set of every match. She was one of seven unanimous selections for this honor.

Most impressive match: Nov. 18 vs. Illinois

Facing No. 18 Illinois in Champaign, the Badgers and Fighting Illini traded blows for five grueling sets. Down 11-9 in the fifth set, Carlini stepped up and delivered four noteworthy assists to help Wisconsin break out on a 6-1 run and steal the match from Illinois’ grasp. That night, Carlini tallied a season-high 57 assists.

Haleigh Nelson

First-team all-Big Ten

Haleigh Nelson entered the season as a question mark, and ended it being recognized as one of the top players in her conference. After spending the offseason retooling her skills and growing her confidence, Nelson returned to Madison to showcase a matured offensive prowess. Her 2.65 kills per set, team-leading .27 aces per set and 1.27 blocks per set (fifth in the Big Ten and 42nd in the nation) made her the most well-rounded player on this roster, a compliment that should not be taken lightly given the talent at Wisconsin’s disposal. But her most impressive feature is her hitting efficiency (.422 hitting percentage), which places her tied for first in the Big Ten and 11th in the nation.

Coincidentally, as Carlini was having her best match of the season, Nelson decided to join in on the fun as well. Her 18 kills and seven total blocks that night made her a feared presence at the net that threw off Illinois hitters and blockers from the start when she recorded three kills within the first seven points in the first set.

Taylor Morey

Honorable mention all-Big Ten

Taylor Morey’s final regular season campaign ended with some impressive performances, and will leave her with the fifth-most digs in program history (1,455). A transfer from Notre Dame, Morey has made an impact in each of her three seasons in Madison — growing as each year went on. 2015 was no exception. She averaged 4.51 digs per set (third in the Big Ten) and commanded a backline that was called on to make more than 80 digs in four matches this season.

Most impressive match: Sept. 18 vs. Kansas State

Early in the season Wisconsin was facing some glaring problems, namely communication issues. An early season match against a tough Kansas State team was a problem not only for the team, but also Morey, who would have to direct her young backline against a high-powered attack. In the end, Morey tied her career-high of 29 digs, and guided her teammates to a total of 83 digs — the second highest total all season and a performance head coach Kelly Sheffield described as one of the toughest and grittiest of the year.

Tionna Williams

Big Ten all-freshman team

Tionna Williams assumed a tough role after key departures from the prior season, a role Sheffield described as one of — if not the toughest — position to play in the Big Ten. But she’s stepped into it with confidence, and has since gone on to record 1.34 blocks per set (fourth in the Big Ten and 28th in the country) and 2.21 kills per set. As a true freshman, she’s progressed in her development rather quickly, a sign of the maturity the Badgers so desperately needed this season with a young roster. For Williams, this freshman campaign will be a stepping stone for better performances to come.

Most impressive match: Oct. 17 vs. Minnesota

Despite the Badgers dropping the match to then-No. 11 Minnesota, Williams was in no way at fault. She recorded 12 kills and six total blocks, while hitting at .455 percent and even recording a dig. In an away match against the now No. 4 team in the country, Williams ditched the freshman persona that evening and grew into an always-reliable player.