Men’s soccer: Former All-American returns to sidelines to help coach Badgers

Standout alum Aaron Hohlbein brings experience, vision to coaching staff
Wisconsin Athletic Communications

It’s not every day a former player receives the opportunity to come back to their alma mater to help coach and mold the current crop of players. That is, unless, you’re Aaron Hohlbein.

Hohlbein, a member of the Wisconsin men’s soccer team from 2003-06, is the newest addition to the 2015 season coaching staff, acting as an assistant to an already solid coaching staff.

After a vacancy for the assistant coaching position opened up in the offseason, head coach John Trask gave Hohlbein the call, and the Middleton, Wisconsin native jumped at what he described as the “perfect opportunity.”

“It’s kind of my dream job after I stopped playing,” Hohlbein said. “It’s a place I always wanted to be.”

Hohlbein said he made some of his best memories at the University of Wisconsin and is excited to be back in Madison. He looks forward to getting involved with the men’s soccer program to help the young team in any way possible.

In his time playing as a defender at UW, Hohlbein was named third-team All-American during his senior season, putting him among unique Wisconsin company. Hohlbein is one of just seven former Badgers to receive All-American status.

His college accolades don’t stop there. Hohlbein was also selected to the first-team All-Great Lakes Region in his final year as a Badger. He started all 77 games during his career at Wisconsin, netting six goals and notching seven assists during that span.

Adding to Hohlbein’s decorated career, he was named first team All-Big Ten twice, second team twice, was selected to the College News All-Freshman team in 2003, and also picked up Big Ten all-tournament honors in three of his four seasons. Hohlbein was also a team captain during his junior and senior seasons.

Hohlbein said he’s pleased with the way Trask and other assistant coach Keith Tiemeyer have worked to get the Wisconsin program to the next level.

“[The program] has changed, but at the root it’s still the same program, which is really cool to be a part of,” he said.

Hohlbein went on to play in the MLS, the highest level of professional soccer in the U.S., following his standout career for Wisconsin. He played three seasons in total for the Kansas City Wizards, but a knee surgery ended his career. Playing in the MLS, from traveling across the globe to playing against some of the best players in the world, was amazing, Hohlbein said.

“It was my dream as a kid growing up,” he said. “To achieve that and to do that was special.”

Now, Hohlbein has turned his sights to coaching and trying to help current Badgers achieve the same dream of playing professional soccer. According to Trask, 10 to 12 current players have their sights on continuing their soccer career by playing in the MLS. Hohlbein’s experience offers a unique opportunity for the young Badgers team to learn from a player who has already gone through the process, Trask said.

Professional experience isn’t the only special thing Hohlbein brings to the table, Trask said.

“He’s helping us in so many different ways,” Trask said. “Recruiting is massive, because he knows things about this school that [Tiemeyer and me] — not being student-athletes here —just don’t know. It’s been a win-win all the way around.”

Trask is pleased to finally have an accomplished alum as part of the staff, he said. Hohlbein is considered the most successful player to come out of Wisconsin because of what he was able to accomplish professionally.

The next player who could emerge as a Badger great is freshman defender Sam Brotherton, who’s playing style reminds Hohlbein of his own. Hohlbein had nothing but praise for the New Zealand recruit.

Men’s soccer: Lofty expectations for freshman, New Zealand native Brotherton to help turn Badgers around

“He’s just steady,” Hohlbein said. “You know what to expect from him every time he walks onto the field. He’s very good in the air, and I think that’s one of his best attributes. I would just say the manner that he leads through example reminds me most of myself.”

The Badgers hope Hohlbein can leave a lasting impact on the current players in the program, just as he did in his illustrious career at Wisconsin.

“It’s great being back and working these guys and sharing my experiences to help them along their process and their learning,” Hohlbein said.