Men’s soccer: Lofty expectations for freshman, New Zealand native Brotherton to help turn Badgers around

Sam Brotherton, a true freshman central defender from New Zealand, is not a typical recruit in the mind of Wisconsin men’s soccer head coach John Trask.

Brotherton, the prized signing in Wisconsin’s 2015 class, earned a spot on New Zealand’s national team in a friendly March 31 against South Korea in Seoul. Though Brotherton didn’t play in the match, it was a profound experience for the 18-year-old, who was a member of the All-Whites’ U-20 World Cup team and U-23 Olympic Team, and participated in a full national team camp. He’s also expected to train in an upcoming national team camp.

“I can’t ever remember anyone being brought in with their full national team prior to enrolling in college,” Trask said, a 24-year veteran of the college and professional coaching circuit.

The freshman’s success resulted in a packed summer, which included four appearances for New Zealand in the U-20 World Cup this past June, one against the United States.

Brotherton saw full action in all of New Zealand’s games, scoring an 81st-minute goal in the All-Whites’ final group stage match, a 5-1 win over Myanmar. The win sent New Zealand to the knockout round for their first time in history.

“It was an awesome experience,” Brotherton said. “Playing in a World Cup in your home nation while representing your country is really special. I got some great experience playing against a lot of top players in the world.”

The new recruit said he got a chance to polish his game and hopes his success in New Zealand continues in Madison. For now, Brotherton is enjoying his time before the season begins and his college experience starts.

“It’s been nice, it’s the right season to come over in this part of the country,” Brotherton said. “I’ve really enjoyed student life here. So far everything has been awesome.”

For a Badgers team desperately looking for a turnaround after a 3-12-3 season, Brotherton may be the answer in solidifying a back line that lost four-year starter David Caban to graduation.

The Badgers defense has been a solid unit the past few years, especially last season when they desperately turned away barrages from opponents game after game. Wisconsin’s defense faced 245 total shots in 2014 — 13.6 shots per game — and 101 shots were on goal, but just a slim 34 found the back of the net.

Compared to Big Ten leader Maryland in 2014, that’s 83 more total shots faced, 6.2 more shots per game, 40 more total shots on goal and 15 more goals conceded.

Trask cited a lack of possession as a reason Wisconsin was often found playing on its heels. With the addition of Brotherton and a matured core of rising sophomores and juniors, Trask feels the Badgers have the chance to display some build-up of their own, pointing to a more diverse group of players.

Captain Drew Conner said the team has gotten to know each other these past few weeks at training camp, which has helped better Wisconsin’s possession play.

“I think last year was a big learning year for us,” Conner said. “We’re growing together and learning every day — our strengths and weaknesses, when to play someone into space, who likes it to feet. Just certain things about individuals that will make us a better team and possess the ball more.”

Brotherton has fit in well to that possession style of play, according to Trask and Conner, who both feel the emerging team suits him well. The 6-foot-1 defender assumes the role of a facilitator and possesses a strong aerial presence.

Brotherton’s goal at the U-20 World Cup came from a blistering header on a corner kick, and his highlights showcase his ability to defend long crosses and through balls in the air.

“Set pieces will be really important, we’ve been locking them down,” Brotherton said. “Hopefully I can score some goals off them and also help keep them out of the other end. In the air is how I like to play. I like leading on the pitch, being vocal, it’s just something I feel that’s my strengths.”

Brotherton’s playing style has Trask drawing comparisons to past UW standout, Hermann Trophy semifinalist and current Houston Dynamo defender A.J. Cochran.

“[Brotherton] already seems to be similar to A.J.,” Trask said. “Maybe part of it is that he’s tall, blonde and left-footed so there’s some similarities there. But it’s that he’s a commanding force for the team, the same way A.J. was.”

The parallels drawn to a Wisconsin legend like Cochran sets high expectations for Brotherton.

“When you have a player like that, you know it,” Trask said. “When you lose a player like A.J., you feel it. And now to find someone like Sam, we know we’ve got it again.”