Football Notebook: Chryst addresses targeting calls, Stave pleased with running game progression

UW head coach spoke with Big Ten about ejections of Tindal, Jacobs

In light of Derrick Tindal’s and Leon Jacobs’ ejections from the Wisconsin football team’s Sept. 19 win over Troy, head coach Paul Chryst said Monday, Sept. 21, at his weekly news conference he received a sufficient explanation.

Chryst said he and Big Ten Coordinator of Officials Bill Carollo had a productive conversation and they both take player safety seriously.

In regards to Jacobs’ hit, which knocked the helmet off of Troy quarterback Brandon Silvers, the league said he led too much with his helmet.

Chryst remained adamant that both Tinal and Jacobs meant no ill will.

“There is no question in my mind that both Leon and Derrick were trying to play the game the right way and that you appreciate that,” Chryst said. “Guys weren’t trying to take a shot and be cheap.”

Chryst also said the coaching staff at Wisconsin teaches proper tackling techniques and constantly preaches player safety.

Fifth-year senior safety Michael Caputo said targeting penalties can be easily avoided by leading with the shoulder and wrapping up the ball-carrier.

“Just to remind guys to wrap up when they tackle,” Caputo said of how to make sure targeting penalties don’t hurt the team. “If you just look at the hits that are targeting and the hits that aren’t, the only difference is guys are wrapping arms and following through with the tackle.”

Jacobs is eligible to return for Saturday’s game against Hawaii, but Tindal will have to sit out the first half because his ejection came in the second half of last game.

Stave pleased with running game improvements

While Wisconsin’s running backs’ play isn’t at the level it’s been at in recent years, it’s at least better than it was in the season-opener against Alabama.

The rushing game improvements come at the pleasure of fifth-year senior quarterback Joel Stave.

“I thought we were able to be pretty efficient on first down, which is big for us,” Stave said. “To be an efficient play, you’d like to get more than four yards to keep yourself out of a second-and-long situation.”

The Wisconsin rushing game combined for 199 yards and three touchdowns in the Sept. 19 game against Troy.

Stave had to throw the ball 69 times during the Badgers’ first two games, but threw the ball only 18 times against Troy, in large part because of a successful running game.

“I thought we did a good job being able to push chains a little bit and get bigger runs on first down,” Stave said. “And in doing that, you can open your playbook on second down — play action pass, run the ball again, shotgun, whatever it is — because you’re not as pressed with trying to get a first down.”

Against Troy, running backs Dare Ogunbowale and Taiwan Deal rushed for 75 yards and 84 yards, respectively. Chryst said they were both more patient, which allowed them to find bigger holes.

Chryst gets game ball

Better late than never.

Caputo said the team presented Chryst with a game ball to commemorate his first win as UW head coach.

It just came a week late.

Although the gesture came a full week after Wisconsin beat Miami (Ohio), it still signifies the players’ appreciation of their coach.

“I think it’s a sign of respect for him,” Caputo said. “We appreciate everything he does for us … He was very appreciative, he didn’t have much to say.”

Chryst said he was grateful, regardless of the timing.

“Anytime you get anything from your team, it means the most,” Chryst said.