Men’s soccer ready to do damage in B1G Tournament

The 2013 men’s soccer team has had a roller coaster of emotion. Thirteen men are playing their last season in Badger uniforms, and after coming out flat in the 2012 season, the group was more determined than ever to make the most of 2013.

The No. 13 Badgers fought off close game after close game at home eventually ending the season 10-0-0 at the McClimon Complex. The 10th win came on an emotional senior night as 13 Badgers potentially played their last game in their “fortress.”

“I’ve never been more proud of a Senior Night,” head coach John Trask said at a press conference this week. “I’ve had some very good moments around college soccer, but this Senior Night that we had Friday night with a big win over Ohio State and to be 10-0-0 at home for this group of players, I — it was hard. It was hard for me not to shed a tear.”

Before the Badgers potentially move onto the NCAA tournament, Wisconsin still has some business to attend to in the Big Ten Conference.

Their win on Sunday over Ohio State positioned them in second place in the Big Ten, securing the number two seed in the tournament and a rematch with surprising last place finisher Northwestern.

Northwestern would have been many people’s last guess to have finished seventh in the seven-team Big Ten. The team has been a regular in the NCAA tournament and has consistently topped their Big Ten opponents over the years.

“[Northwestern’s] an excellent team,” Trask said. “They had a share of the Big Ten championship last year, they’ve been to the Elite 8. Over the past 10 years I think you’d have to say they, along with Indiana, have been the most consistent programs in the Big Ten.”

On top of their success in recent years, the Wildcats have played extremely well this year. Joey Calistri, Northwestern’s sophomore forward, has scored 12 goals this season putting him at the top of the Big Ten’s scoring list and sixth in the country.

On defense, Northwestern is led by goalkeeper Tyler Miller who claims a .79 goals against average on the year. Centered on those two, combined with a powerful team behind them, Northwestern has finished their regular season 9-6-3, a record that could very well land them in the NCAA tournament alongside the Badgers.

In their previous matchup, the Badgers traveled to Northwestern and won their only Big Ten road win of the season 1-0. However, Northwestern was battered in that game playing without several key players, including Miller.

A win over Northwestern would position Wisconsin to play the winner of Michigan State and Ohio State in the semifinals. If they are able to get past the Spartans or the Buckeyes they will play either defending national champion Indiana, Michigan or Big Ten regular season champion Penn State.

The Wolverines and Nittany Lions each handed Wisconsin one of their two conference losses of the season. Clearly the Badgers have their work cut out for them if they hope to take home the conference championship and an NCAA automatic bid.

However, in a press conference this week Trask made it quite clear that the Badgers have one main goal for the Big Ten tournament this weekend: make a case for the Badgers to secure a higher seed and possible home field advantage in the NCAA tournament.

“We’d like to think, if we could do some damage at the Big Ten Tournament, then maybe, just maybe we could be at home or possibly home for a couple games in the NCAA Tournament,” Trask said. “Playing at home and having a bye in the first round is huge in men’s soccer.”

If the Badger’s do in fact “do some damage” in the Big Ten Tournament, possibly even winning the tournament, Wisconsin will have made a solid case for that bye and home field advantage. And one thing is for certain: an NCAA tournament match at the McClimon Complex against an undefeated at home Badgers team, backed up by fans and students, and possibly a sub 32 degree temperature could be dangerous for even the best programs in the country.