Badgers face familiar rival in Frozen Four’s opener

wh_NW
Junior forward Brianna Decker – who led Wisconsin this season with 80 points, a total that ranks second nationally – is a finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award.[/media-credit]

It’s been another exceptional season for the Badgers as they make their sixth Frozen Four appearance in seven seasons this weekend in Duluth. But for the Badgers, only two games stand in the way of hoisting another national championship trophy.

In Friday evening’s semifinal game, Wisconsin (32-4-2) finds itself in a familiar position. UW will take on Boston College (24-9-3) – the same opponent the Badgers faced in last year’s Frozen Four semifinal game.

The Badgers narrowly defeated the Eagles in last year’s final, 3-2, so Wisconsin is prepared for a revenge-driven BC squad.

“I think they’re going to have some revenge in them to get back at us for last year’s loss,” junior forward Brianna Decker said. “They have a different team, and so do we, so it’s a completely a blank slate; I think we’re just going to have to see what we’re up against.”

Senior forward Hilary Knight also said she believes that despite last year’s result, the win over Boston College doesn’t translate over to what happens in this year’s semifinal.

“We just have to remember that we’re a new team, and it’s a different year,” Knight said. “And everything that we accomplished against Boston College last year is kind of irrelevant this week.”

Knight and the rest of the team desire a much better result in Duluth than their last outing in Amsoil Arena, where the Badgers lost 1-3 in the WCHA semifinal to Minnesota-Duluth.

Winning the WCHA regular season title, the Badgers were favorites to win the conference tournament as well, but the UMD Bulldogs shocked them.

Amsoil Arena – home to this year’s WCHA Final Five and NCAA Frozen Four – features a smaller rink size than that of the Kohl Center in Madison. Knight believes it takes adjusting to get used to smaller rinks, but UW’s main focus remains playing well from the moment the game begins.

“I think this time we’re ready; obviously we ran out of time on Friday [in Duluth] and tried to compete a little bit too late in the game and ended up losing,” Knight said. “But I think if we come out ready to go in the first second, at the drop of the puck, I think we’ll be fine.”

Head coach Mark Johnson said the WCHA conference tournament loss may have actually been a positive for his team.

“It’s one of those games where [Minnesota-Duluth] probably wanted a little more than we did,” Johnson said. “In the big picture, that’s okay. If it helped us win this past Saturday, then it’s a good thing. The biggest trophy, the biggest prize, is yet to be given out, and that’s the one we’re shooting for.”

Johnson and many of his players own NCAA tournament and Frozen Four experience that is often invaluable this time of year. Coaches and players alike said knowing the routine of the Frozen Four and what to expect makes it easier to relax.

This marks Knight’s fourth Frozen Four in her four seasons at Wisconsin.

“I’m not nervous; I’m more of an excited nervous if anything,” Knight said. “I know the format. I know the ins and outs on what needs to be done and what you have to do. And I’ve also lost going to the Frozen Four, so I’ve been on both ends of the spectrum. I think if anything, it brings sort of a different type of wisdom.”

That loss came in Knight’s freshman year at the 2008 National Championship game against Minnesota-Duluth. Although it was four years ago, the game took place in Duluth, making Knight even more motivated to avenge that loss in the same city that put a sour end to her freshman year.

“I have my freshman year engraved in the back of my mind,” Knight said. “That’s definitely a huge regret, and it’d be nice to go out and leave without any regrets.”

With experienced team leaders like Knight and Decker, Johnson is confident in his team. But he knows the outcome of this year’s Frozen Four will rely upon the Badgers’ performance in big moments.

“It really comes down to executing,” Johnson said. “We can talk a lot about little things, but it really comes down to playing relaxed, playing confident and playing to win.”