Transfer finds home at UW

For all students, the road through college can be filled with bumps and pit stops. While some are lucky enough only to have to take one stop until they find success, others may need to hop back on the road and try out the next stop.

This is true for fifth-year senior Danny Clum, who transferred to the University of Wisconsin two years ago after spending three years as a member of the University of Wyoming wrestling team. After redshirting his first year, Clum spent two seasons wrestling for the Cowboys, reaching the NCAA tournament both seasons.

But after his sophomore season, it became clear to Clum that Wyoming was no longer the right fit for him.

?It was kind of a sudden thing, really,? Clum said. ?It was a compilation of a lot of things. It just kind of came together quickly at the end of my sophomore year. I was looking at a couple of different options, but [Wisconsin] was the best fit for me.?

At first, Wyoming seemed to offer everything Clum was looking for. A good wrestling team, close to home ? Clum is a native of Arvada, Colo. ? and a connection to one of the coaches. Assistant coach Matt Johnson happened to be the son of Clum?s high school coach and was also a three-time All-American at Iowa State.

?He was an awesome coach,? Clum said. ?Still one of the best coaches I?ve ever had. He was basically the reason I went there. But when I was there, the program sort of diminished.?

The team was less successful his sophomore year than his freshman year, leaving Clum to decide to head east.

Clum wasn’t the first in his family to wrestle for Wisconsin, as his older brother Tom had just completed his senior season for the Badgers by winning a second Big Ten title and earning his second All-American honors.

Wisconsin head coach Barry Davis knew there was another Clum brother out there, and he knew he was capable of doing some great things on the mat.

?With Tommy being here and Danny being at the NCAAs two years before that, we knew what he was capable of,? Davis said. ?Anytime you can get a kid of that caliber to come in, that?s good. Good kid coming into the room, NCAA experience, great competition ? that was a plus for us.?

Danny packed up his bags and left Laramie for Madison in the summer of 2006. Entering his junior year of eligibility, Clum had high hopes after competing in the NCAA tournament in his first two seasons and coming to a program ranked in the upper third of the Big Ten.

He expected to get an opportunity to hit the mat right away, until something unexpected happened.

?I was hoping to (compete), but I got hurt real early last season,? Clum said. ?It was kind of a season-ending injury. I rehabbed, came back after Christmas break, and re-hurt it my first match. Dislocated kneecap and torn meniscus ? it was my third surgery on it. It was a frustrating year last year.?

Coming into his senior season, he knew he would be competing against his friend and fellow fifth-year senior Jake Donar for the spot at 165 pounds. While both have been vying for a starting spot in their final year, neither is letting the competition put an end to their friendship.

?It?s [a] good [relationship],? Donar said. ?We push each other hard, just like any other teammate. Everybody works together, and we do everything we can to make everyone do the best they can do.?

This past weekend, both Donar and Clum were in the lineup as the Badgers started the second half of the season with a Big Ten victory at Indiana. Donar kept his spot at 165 pounds, and Clum was bumped up to compete at 174 pounds, where he earned the Badgers three team points in an 11-4 decision.

While Clum?s position in the lineup is still up in the air, Davis now knows he can rely on Clum, not worry about his old injuries and expect good things to happen.

?He?s rebounded pretty well,? Davis said. ?At one time he did real well on his rehab, and then he fell back behind. But, right now, I think he?s picking up again and doing it. Being a fifth-year senior, you expect a little more from them. I expect him to step up and do the little extra he has to do to give himself a good opportunity down the road.?