UW following senior leaders

[media-credit name=’GREGORY DIXON/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WH_27_ged[/media-credit]It was a big weekend for the University of Wisconsin women's hockey team. After suffering an offensive hiccup against WCHA opponent Minnesota-Duluth last weekend, Wisconsin went on to trounce non-conference opponent Robert Morris this past weekend by the scores of 10-0 and 5-0.

It was an especially big weekend for senior forward Sara Bauer, who recorded three goals and three assists en route to becoming Wisconsin's all-time leading scorer with 179 points.

The previous record holder Meghan Hunter has 177 points.

Bauer now has 33 points on the season, which leads the nation.

Bauer, the reigning Patty Kazmaier winner, was as modest as always and quick to downplay the significance of her achievement.

"It's definitely [about] the team as a whole," Bauer said. "Nobody plays by their self out there, you've got two linemates, two [defenders] and a goalie … helping you out.

"Any individual accomplishment, for anyone on the team, I think is a reflection of the team."

Senior defender Meaghan Mikkelson also had a huge series last weekend as she recorded one goal and five assists in the series, which is the most offense she has produced in one series during her collegiate career.

Mikkelson's 6 points gives her 22 points for the season, which is the best in the conference for defenders.

Bauer and Mikkelson are also tied for the conference lead in powerplay points with 14, while Mikkelson is tied for the conference lead in game-winning goals with four.

For their offensive production, Bauer was named the WCHA Offensive Player of the Week while Mikkelson was awarded with Defensive Player of the Week. It is the first time this season either player has received the award.

"It's nice to see Mikkelson do what she's been able to do for the first 18 games," head coach Mark Johnson said. "And obviously [Bauer] is … continuing to do what she did last year. After she won the Patty Kazmaier, she wasn't complacent and she wasn't sitting back on her laurels. She has continued to try to push herself and play at a higher level."

Bauer and Mikkelson are two of the most prominent and productive members on the team. However, just as they did last year, the Badgers have a very talented and oft-overlooked senior squad.

"One reason why we're going to be successful is … their leadership," Johnson said. "Not only on the ice, but equally important off the ice. If Sara (Bauer) plays well and Mikkelson plays well, if Bobbi-Jo (Slusar) plays well and a couple key people in that core group, it gives you a good opportunity to win hockey games."

One of the most crucial players on the Badgers' squad, however, is captain Bobbi-Jo Slusar, who was also a finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Award along with Bauer.

Slusar is the anchor of a defensive line that features a nice mix of veteran and younger players, as well as being a key defender on the penalty kill and powerplay. Her career plus-minus rating is an impressive +86.

Senior goaltender Christine Dufour has allowed just seven goals in her seven games this season, all of them coming in wins. She is often overlooked due to the stellar play of her counterpart, sophomore Jessie Vetter, who has made 11 starts compared to Dufour's seven starts.

Dufour holds a very impressive save percentage of .934, which leads the WCHA in goals against average and is the only goalie in the conference with zero losses. She put up similar numbers last year before losing playing time to Vetter and former senior Meghan Horras, who were simply playing hotter during the last stretch of the season.

The Badgers also have the relatively unknown seniors Phoebe Monteleone and Heidi Kletzien.

What Monteleone and Kletzien lack in offensive firepower, they make up for in experience and leadership. Monteleone was awarded the title of assistant captain this season and has a career plus-minus rating of +18 while Kletzien has a rating of +27.

"I think we're a good group," Bauer said. "Obviously we've had some experience for the past few years … and we just take what we've learned and try to share it with the younger players."

"With them being seniors now, they understand that there aren't a lot of games left in their hockey career at Wisconsin," Johnson said. "They want to get the most out of it."