Point-Counterpoint: Worst bottom, not top

Poppy

A fashion statement is a must in sports. Aside from their play, players are defined by their looks — whether it's Mark Zalewski's hair, Allen Iverson's armband or Horace Grant's goggles, it's all about style.

But certain styles can also turn against an athlete, so when presented with this week's Point-Counter Point topic, worst bottoms (as perverted as it may sound), there was only one obvious choice: Larry Johnson, formerly of the New York Knicks.

While Johnson was typically known for making the trademark "LJ" sign with his arms following three-pointers, he had a unique style of his own regarding the wearing of his shorts. The man once known as "Grandmama" would tuck his jersey into his jock.

Having your underwear hang out has been a style that has infamously grown in the '90s with the baggy jeans fad, but actually tucking your shirt into your underwear is something else. It is wrong on so many fronts…

For one, just imagine winning a Larry Johnson game-used jersey. The phrase, "Do you know where that thing's been?" would really apply here.

Secondly, if you're going to have your underwear hanging out, why have them halfway up your back? It really can't be comfortable, and it doesn't look cool in any way whatsoever.

Why did he even wear shorts anyway, though? I mean, there was really no point in them. He should've just played in his jocks — the shorts served no purpose at all, but I guess he at least wasn't free-balling it.

Or why not just throw on the dress from the old school Converse "Grandmama" commercials and play out the character in real life?

Either way, Larry Johnson's wearing of his shorts is the worst bottoms, not tops, ever.

McGrath

Tutus aren't exactly cool. Neither were John Stockton's shorts or the thin strips of fabric that Rick Barry passed off as shorts — which barely obscured his unmentionables.

But no garment meant to be worn below the waist could possibly be worse than the wedgie-wear that sumo wrestlers slip into.

Really, nobody wants to see a guy wear that unflattering pleather-like padded jock strap. Make the man 700 pounds, so that it just becomes a super-sized thong lodged between what resembles two clear Hefty bags filled with Ricotta cheese.

The ugly bit of underwear, which is in actuality under nothing, is called a mawashi, which loosely translated means, "the last thing anybody would want to see Mo'Nique in." It's really a rather fitting name since it must need a serious mawashi-ng after every use. In fact, I'm pretty sure their clothing is of the one-and-done variety.

As if the sumo gear wasn't bad enough, once the bout begins the two opponents basically try to give each other an atomic wedgie, making the scenery even more appalling than downtown Detroit.

Many yokozumas even add tassels to their mawashis, and even Candace Cameron knows that those have been out of style since she and Bob Saget were kicking it on "Full House." The tassels would be acceptable if the sumo was doing ballet, but then again, sumos doing ballet would be acceptable no matter what the conditions.

But sumos giving each other wedgies are never acceptable, and thus the mawashi is the worst bottom in sports.

Point: Mawashi.