Carlson probable against Denver

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]MH_27_BF[/media-credit]After another disappointing series against Alaska Anchorage this past weekend, the Wisconsin men's hockey team (4-4-2, 3-2-1 WCHA) finally has some good news. Barring any setbacks, forward Ross Carlson is expected to rejoin the UW lineup when the Badgers take the ice against Denver at the Kohl Center this weekend.

The sputtering Badger offense has been held in check since losing Carlson and Jack Skille in their home opening series against North Dakota.

"There's a good chance Ross will be back in and I think the timing is right for Ross to come in, and what he brings as an athlete is something that we could use right now. It's like getting a B12 shot," UW head coach Mike Eaves said in a press conference Monday.

Last season, Carlson was sixth on the team with 23 points — and is the Badgers' active leader with 72 career points — but it is his gritty style of play and veteran leadership that the Badgers have missed most. According Eaves, a healthy dose of Carlson and Skille is just what the doctor ordered.

"Ross is one of our seniors, and obviously he has an offensive flair, but you miss that senior leadership on the ice and in the locker room," Eaves said. "You're talking about [just] two guys, but the chemistry they provide helps make the soup taste good, if you want to make the analogy, so were happy to have him back in."

Skille, who suffered an elbow injury against North Dakota, is progressing on schedule and Eaves didn't rule out the possibility of the Madison native making a triumphant return as early as this weekend.

"[Skille's] on the ice with us skating, puck handling, passing, and I think the next step is can he shoot the puck, because that will put torque on his injury. When he passes that test, we will be closer to having him back," Eaves said. "This weekend is doubtful, but hopefully next weekend we will be looking at probable."

Two of a kind

Despite Wisconsin's offensive inadequacies the last few weeks, the Badger blue-liners have been quite effective, keeping shots and quality scoring chances to a minimum, while surrendering just 2.1 goals per game.

"(Davis) Drewiske and (Matt) Olinger have played well as a pair … they have really stabilized that defense," Eaves said.

According to Eaves, the consistency of an unlikely duo has been instrumental in the defensive effort.

"Not only have they played to their strengths," Eaves said, "but actually they have stepped outside and picked up their games a little bit, so when you ask [who is the most consistent] that is what comes to mind."

Revenge factor

After the Badgers' 2-1 loss to Alaska Anchorage, Eaves questioned his team's effort and their ability to play to their own identity. Wisconsin's inconsistent play has frustrated the coaching staff and they will continue to address the issue.

"I came across a good quote that said, 'infinite patience produces immediate results' which is a very paradoxical statement," Eaves said. "But in the world of sport, you have got to have a certain mentality of how you have to play and play to a certain identity if you want to be a championship team."

When the Badgers lost goaltender Brian Elliott to an injury last season, Eaves was forced to give backup goaltender Shane Connelly the first starts of his career against Denver — the defending national champions at the time. The freshman's inexperience was confirmed — Eaves related the magnitude of Connelly's situation to being dumped "not into the deep end, but in the Pacific Ocean" — as the Badgers were swept at home, being outscored 5-2 in the two-game set.

Despite the circumstances of last year's matchup, Eaves expects the Pioneers to bring the same intensity and ability that has defined their team for the last few seasons.

"It was a long time ago and [last year] doesn't matter, it's a new year, it's Denver," Eaves said. "They are always a quality opponent, they'll bring their A-game. They like playing in this building like most teams, so it will be another great challenge for us."