Rivalry weekend at Kohl

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MH_27_RP[/media-credit]Wisconsin-Minnesota, the Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe, may be the most publicized matchup over the upcoming weekend in Madison between two teams that just don't like each other.

However, it could be argued that it won't even be the most intense rivalry played out in the coming days. With No. 6 North Dakota coming to face the top-ranked Badgers at the Kohl Center, UW men's hockey coach Mike Eaves said his team is embracing the high stakes of the next two competitions.

"We start for real now and have a very strong opponent, one that always brings the best out of Wisconsin," Eaves said Monday at his first news conference of the season. "The North Dakota/Wisconsin rivalry is there, so the kids are looking forward to this weekend."

Wisconsin is coming off a decent opening set against No. 19 Northern Michigan in a "road" series at the Resch Center in Green Bay. After winning the opener 3-0, the Badgers scored two late goals to steal a 3-3 tie in the series finale, bringing home three of four possible points.

"It wasn't a bad weekend for us for an opening weekend," Eaves said. He added that he and UW women's hockey counterpart Mark Johnson discussed the perils of the opening weekend. "You have a handful of practices and you start to play. You never quite know what you're going to get, but overall, we're pretty pleased."

Double D strikes early

UW defenseman Davis Drewiske pulled off an improbable feat in the first two games of the season; score a goal in back-to-back games.

Eaves took a moment to compliment the junior, who had earned just 10 points in his first two years at Wisconsin, on scoring twice against Northern Michigan in UW's first weekend.

"He is very much a pleasant surprise," Eaves said. "I mean, a goal in each game, a goal from any defenseman in back-to-back games is unusual."

Eaves hinted that Drewiske may be seeing more ice time on the Badger power play.

"We'd like to have a left-handed shot in the power play that we could use for a one-timer and make some passes and plays," Eaves said. "What Davis has done is opened our eyes a little bit and say, well, maybe this is the young man we're looking for right now. So his stock has risen, and we'll certainly give him an opportunity to show us what he can do."

Win, lose and draw

Puck possession, is a big part of the game of hockey, and Eaves said he is currently searching for one or two of his players to emerge as a go-to face-off player.

"Face-offs [are] one of those games within the game," Eaves said. "We weren't as good as we have been in the past, and a little bit has to do with that it's one of those underrated things."

Losing graduate Joe Pavelski didn't help, as the center who took 38% of the draws for the Badgers in one year — winning 55.4% of his 1,151 face-offs, to boot — no longer dons the cardinal and white sweater.

"The go-to guy we had last year was Joe Pavelski," Eaves said. "Joe has very good hands, and it's a lot about that, your innate ability to have quick hands and get the job done."

The Badgers have started working on different face-off situations, including a new drill where a simulated scrum ensues around the face-off circle. Eaves intends to put an emphasis on gaining possession right off the drop more often in the upcoming season.

"That was the first time we had done it," Eaves said. "Now we need to go back and take a look at that so that we have more puck possession off of face-off plays."

Burish a Blackhawk; no NHL for Gilbert yet

Adam Burish, the Badger captain from last year's championship team, was the only one of five UW graduating seniors to land on an NHL roster for the start of this season. Burish will begin his career with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Eaves explained that different NHL teams have different goals, thus shedding some light as to how standout defenseman Tom Gilbert may have failed to make the opening-day roster for the Edmonton Oilers.

"Because of what the needs are of the teams that they have, their philosophies with their players … maybe I wouldn't be [surprised] if I talked to the Chicago Blackhawk management and found out what their needs were and what they were looking for," Eaves said.

Eaves added that he didn't feel bad for any of his former players, expressing his confidence in those NHL hopefuls that they will have their chances to shine at the professional level.

"I know they both will have opportunities to play at that level because of what they bring to the table," Eaves said.