Orton leading powerhouse Purdue offense

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Purdue_BS_400[/media-credit]Purdue senior quarterback Kyle Orton is not only the glue that holds together the Boilermaker offense but also the driving force behind the team’s success.

With the Boilermakers leading the Big Ten in passing (351.2 yards per game), Orton has emerged as a frontrunner for the Heisman trophy.

The senior signal-caller was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week in two consecutive weeks after a pair of standout performances that preserved the Boilermakers’ perfect record and propelled the squad to a No. 5 national ranking. At 5-0, Orton has the Boilermakers off to their best start since 1945.

“I think as a team we’ve really progressed a lot,” Orton said. “We’ve become a lot better football team than what we were when we started out. We’re playing hard every single week, and we’re playing pretty close to mistake-free football right now. Hopefully we’ll just keep winning the tight football games and get better as a football team.”

Orton has made the most of a talented offensive arsenal, as eight Boilermakers have posted more than 100 yards receiving this season.

“This is really the first year that we’ve got eight or nine guys, including running backs and tight ends, that can make really big plays for us and do it on a consistent basis,” Orton said. “We’ve really got the entire offense working now on all cylinders.”

Orton’s primary target, senior wide receiver Taylor Stubblefield, became the all-time conference leader in receptions with seven catches in Saturday’s win over Penn State. Stubblefield has now caught 271 passes in his career and has climbed to sixth place all-time with 3,102 receiving yards.

Meanwhile, Orton leads the Big Ten with an average of 328.4 passing yards per game and a pass efficiency rating of 181.6. The talented signal-caller also ranks among the top 10 in three other conference offensive categories after completing 24 of 35 passes for 275 yards at Penn State. The Altoona, Iowa, native currently ranks eighth in passing yards (7,889) and pass attempts (1,119) and ninth in completions (669).

Orton threw 17 touchdown passes before recording his first interception, which came against Penn State Saturday. For the season, the Heisman contender has thrown 18 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

With Orton leading the way, Purdue’s powerhouse offense ranks fourth in the nation in scoring production, averaging 41.8 points per game.

The talented quarterback, however, will face his stiffest test of the season when the undefeated Badgers bring the nation’s top defense (6.5 points allowed per game) into West Lafayette this Saturday.

Purdue head coach Joe Tiller believes Orton will overcome not only Wisconsin’s vaunted defense but anything the NCAA defensive minds can throw at him. Already five teams have tried to shut him down, and all have failed.

“He’s always had that physical skill we’ve always looked for in terms of throwing a football in the receiver’s hands, wherever that receiver may be on the field,” Tiller said of Orton. “He’s matured in the offense, really understands it, and has great command of the game and what we’re doing offensively. He’s a guy with a tremendous amount of experience, which really helps at the quarterback position.”

While Orton has developed into a team player over the course of his career, he has also improved upon his own individual abilities in becoming one of the most recognized players in college football.

“It’s tough,” Orton said. “I know there are people who want autographs, and that’s fine, but it’s getting tough. The mob was pretty unbelievable after the last game, and I tried to sign as many kids’ autographs as I could. The hype is obviously picking up, and I know it’s going to get bigger and bigger, but that’s how it goes.”

With Orton running the show for Tiller, Purdue has all but locked up another bowl bid.

Orton and the Boilermakers need only one more win to clinch a bowl berth, but, like the Badgers, the Boilermakers have their sights set on a BCS bowl.

The Preseason Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year by Lindy’s and The Sporting News, Orton is one of only three quarterbacks at Purdue who have started three bowl games. If Orton and the Boilermakers maintain their consistent offensive output and the defense stays solid enough, a national championship may not be out of the question.

“You’ve got to take care of each win,” Orton said. “With each win you’re getting closer and closer to the team’s ultimate goal. You’ve got to take a step back and say, `This is this week, and this is the most important game of the year.’ Each game and each week is the most important game for us. I really do believe that if we keep taking that same approach then we’ll win a lot of football games.”