Ryan, Badgers look to end two-game road skid

The Wisconsin men’s basketball team, fresh off a dominating 82-46 home win over Purdue, showed onlookers they are still very much in the hunt for a Big Ten title. The last two years, Wisconsin has closed out its regular season with back-to-back Big Ten titles at the Kohl Center. Under Bo Ryan, the Badgers are 24-0 in Big Ten play and 43-2 overall at home.

In order for a three-peat to happen, the Badgers will have to win their final two games on the road, which is easier said than done. Wisconsin is just 3-6 as visitors. For Ryan, playing away from home is no different this year than in the past. To win on the road players need to contend with hostile crowds in different arenas.

“In football, it’s totally different,” Ryan said, “because you are taking something and throwing it into something or trying to keep the other team from throwing it into something. I talked to Mike [Eaves] about hockey. You got a net you shoot into, and that net looks the same everywhere, that’s what he told me.”

Still, Ryan admits there is no difference in the approach to a home game versus that of a road game.

“[There] are all these theories about the road and everything … in 1891, it hasn’t changed. It is tougher, but it doesn’t mean it can’t be done,” Ryan said. “I’m pretty focused everywhere where I’ve been, and I want players that don’t change. But it is a different sport on the road.”

Out of the gate

Starting strong will be even more important for the Badgers in the hostile environment of East Lansing.

“They (the crowds) get into it,” Ryan said. “That’s college basketball. It’s pretty exciting. Sticks and stones will break my bones … you know the old saying.”

Keeping the Spartans from jumping out to an early lead will also be important to a Badger team not geared for come-from-behind victories.

“When the ball is going down, it is contagious. You can see that in the second half against Purdue just in a mini-view of our game,” Ryan said. “If you let people get away from you on the road, you can mushroom in a hurry. It doesn’t mean you can’t come back. It’s just tougher to do on the road.”

Being prepared for every game

As the regular season draws to a close, Wisconsin has a lot to play for, including a share of the Big Ten title and hopes to improve on its NCAA Sweet 16 finish from a year ago. While the next two games are possibly the most important for the Badgers at this point in the season, Ryan feels his players are ready for every game, whether they are playing a top-ranked team or a winless opponent.

“So this is just the next game and our guys will be ready as they always are. You have to remember that the result doesn’t mean [they weren’t] ready, prepared, focused,” Ryan said. “Those are just words people put on something if you don’t get something done, and I don’t buy into any of it. I never have, I never will because I know how I feel. I can only tell you how I feel.”

Indiana tip-off set

Wisconsin’s final regular season game on the road against Indiana will be played this Saturday, March 6. The game will tip off at 11:17 a.m. and will be televised on ESPN-Plus.