Badgerball preparing for tough road ahead

After one week of practices, the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team is already feeling the effects of head coach Lisa Stone’s new leadership.

“There has definitely been a lot of changes, but they are all good changes,”

UW center Ebba Gebisa said Sunday night at the Kohl Center, where the team held a practice open to the public.

Stone’s regime is undoubtedly different than what most returning players are accustomed to. The practices reflect Stone’s up-tempo and intense style, and Gebisa says the new style has already influenced the team.

“She is an extremely intense and passionate coach, and that is a great change for us,” Gebisa said. “It is something that is carrying over into our style as a team and will definitely benefit us.”

After UW’s disappointing season last year, the team’s first since 1994, the Badgers feel they are already improving under Stone’s new leadership. Coach Stone is equally impressed with what the team has showed her so far this season.

“They have showed me a great work ethic,” Stone said Sunday night. “They are excited about the season, and they are excited to improve. I am really happy about that.”

Among other things, the week of practices has focused on defense, which is what Stone prides herself on and is another area in which the team has set goals to improve.

Stone also said the team will look to the upperclassmen for leadership, both on and off the court, including sophomore guard Ashley Josephson — who is also impressed with the team’s improvement so far.

“We are already in a lot better shape than we were last season at this point,” Josephson said.

UW will have to work hard to overcome the injuries that plagued them last season and their challenging Big Ten schedule, which Coach Stone considers to be “probably the strongest Big Ten conference ever.”

Eight Big Ten teams are ranked in the top 25 and will undoubtedly prove to be the most challenging part of the Badgers’ schedule this season.

However, the team remains confident.

“We don’t see any reason why we can’t go out there and compete with the rest of the Big Ten,” Gebisa said. “One of the goals we have set is to win the Big Ten championship.”

Only a few weeks remain before the regular season kicks off at home versus Northern Illinois Nov. 23. Until then, Josephson has some goals of her own. “I just want to go out there, play the best that I can play and help the team get some wins.”