Badgers sweep fall ball series

The University of Wisconsin softball team left Goodman Diamond Saturday with two wins, defeating both UW-Parkside (1-0) and UW-Green Bay (5-1).

In the opening game against UW-Parkside, the Badgers’ pitching and defense was strong throughout, only allowing Parkside four hits in the shutout victory. But it wasn’t until the sixth inning that the Badger offense stepped up and scored the only run of the game. Shortstop Kristin Zacher reached base with a walk and advanced to second on a clutch sacrifice bunt laid down by infielder Athena Vasquez.

A base hit by second base Emily Friedman put two on base, and centerfield Anastasia Miller’s line drive to center field drove Zacher home, scoring the game-winning run. Miller led the team with two hits in the game. The shutout went to Sara Gonzales, who pitched a complete game exhibiting excellent control, striking out seven and walking only one.

In Saturday’s second game the Badgers overcame a first inning deficit to breeze past UW-Green Bay. In the top of the first, Green Bay’s Michelle Kaminski knocked out a solo home run, giving the Phoenix a one-run lead. The Badgers were able to halt Green Bay, though, only allowing one runner past first base for the remainder of the game.

The Badgers got their bats moving in the third inning, when they scored all five of their runs.

With the bases loaded, Miller stepped up to the plate and singled to center, driving in two runs. Sheena Padovan took first base on a walk, loading the bases again. A single by infielder Diana Consolmagno knocked in another run.

Finally, Miller and Padovan both scored, taking advantage of an error committed by Green Bay pitcher Stephanie Hanson, who missed the opportunity to throw Miller out at home plate.

Miller attributes the big inning to a difference in which pitches the team chose to swing at and to the momentum that was built up after loading the bases in the beginning of the inning.

“I think throughout the day we were not being picky enough in our pitch selection, and I think in that inning we just started to pick out the right pitches to go for,” Miller stated. “When we got somebody on base, we didn’t stop there. We just kept going.”

Katie Layne pitched the first four innings, allowing three hits and one run while freshman Eden Brock finished the final three innings, striking out four and securing the Badger win.

The team’s performance in the fall lets the team focus on what needs to be improved upon for the spring season. Miller believes during the off-season the Badgers will be able to fine-tune their weaker points.

“We are going to work real hard in the off-season to prepare for the spring season. We have a fairly young team, so a lot of it is just learning to work with each other and work on the finer points of the game,” Miller said.

The Badgers will finish up the fall season at home next Saturday, when they face Winona State in a double header.