Walking on air

The high school athlete has two options if he or she wants to play sports for a big-time, top-level university. If the player is fortunate enough, he or she can be offered a scholarship to play. However, not all aspiring athletes are given that offer, which leaves them with one option: attempt to walk-on and make the team that way, a la “Rudy.” Wisconsin has its very own “Rudys”; however, UW’s actually play.

By now everyone knows that safety Jim Leonhard was a walk-on for the Badger football team. What made this Flambeau School District (which is “made up of five villages and the whole or parts of the 14 towns) player think he could play Division I college football?

“My senior year we were Division V for football, but other than that we were always Division VI, about 220 kids,” Leonhard said. “It was a huge decision to make the decision to come here. The tradition that they’ve had with the walk-ons here — that’s what helped my decision.

“I just wanted to challenge myself, and this is the highest level here. I felt I could play here, and it was my dream to play at the highest level. Like I said, with the walk-on program here I felt I was going to get a chance. I took advantage of that, and I’m here today.”

The tradition of the walk-on program that Leonhard speaks of is highlighted by the recent success of former Badger Jason Doering. The Rhinelander native spent his first year as a redshirt but went on to become a two-time captain and is currently ranked No.12 in career (’97-’00) tackles for UW with 338. Unlike most college athletes, Doering was still playing after college.

Doering was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the sixth round of the 2001 draft. He played in 16 games his rookie year and started one. The following year he started in six of 15 games. That is the kind of success that inspires those who are considering walking on.

“Successful” is an accurate adjective to describe Jim Leonhard’s 2002 season. Last year Leonhard set the single-season record for interceptions with 11, breaking the record of former UW greats Jamar Fletcher (7) and Nate Odomes (7).

He entered the 2003 season No. 6 on the career interception list. He was also honored as first-team All-American by www.CNN/SI.com. Leonhard walked into this season ranked as the No. 13 free safety and No. 18 return man in the nation by The Sporting News. A definite success for a walk-on.

Joe Stellmacher, a defensive back from Berlin, Wisc., was also inspired by other walk-ons. However, his love for the Badgers from an early age may have been the biggest factor in his walk-on campaign.

“I’ve been a lifelong Badger fan and have been coming to games since I was eight or nine,” Stellmacher said. “That played a role in me coming here. I had heard of the success of their walk-on program down here. Doering and, of course, Jimmy, so there’s a lot of walk-on success stories which also inspired me to come here.”

Making the most of an opportunity to perform is the key to catching the attention of the coaches and working into the lineup.

“You just have to have perseverance and work your tail off, and eventually you get a shot. You have to produce. Then good things will happen,” Stellmacher said. “Eventually you’ll get a shot; you just have to make plays when the time comes.”

Not everyone who tries to walk-on makes it.

“For the most part, I think the guys that walk-on here and aren’t going to make it, realize it and decide something else,” Leonhard said. “For the most part, I think it’s the ones that can make it and are going to produce — they get that chance, and they do it. Guys that aren’t going to will quit or transfer somewhere else.”

Walk-ons have to foot the bill for tuition. Having a rigorous class and football schedule does not realistically leave time for another job. How then does a Division I walk-on athlete pay for college?

“I thank mom and dad for that right now, and I like to chip in as best I can,” Stellmacher said.