Michigan up, Michigan State on deck

In the Wisconsin women’s softball home opener, the team will face two of the toughest teams in the Big Ten. Both Michigan (21-8, 3-1) and Michigan State (24-9, 4-1) are fresh off extended winning streaks and are ahead of the Badgers in the Big Ten standings.

The Badgers are currently 13-16 overall and 10th in the Big Ten, with a 2-4 conference record. Michigan is third, while MSU is tied for first with Iowa.

“They’re both having a great year,” head coach Karen Gallagher said. “This is really a key weekend for us to do well and get back on the winning ways and continue doing well in the Big Ten.”

The Badgers are scheduled to meet the No. 15 team in the country, Michigan, Friday night and Saturday at noon. Michigan is 3-2 against teams ranked in the Top 25 and has won its last 18 out of 21 games, and mostly notably their last five.

“They have great bats, a good pitching staff, they’re just a good team all around,” senior pitcher Andrea Kirchberg (11-11, 0.99 ERA) said. “They play with their hearts, they work really hard and find ways to beat other teams, and that’s what makes them really good.”

Michigan’s pitching is in fact a highlight for its ball club.

“They have an excellent pitching in Marissa Young,” Gallagher said.

Young is 11-1, with an ERA of 1.38, and in her 16 appearances she has 106 strikeouts this season. This year she has been the Big Ten pitcher of the week five times, and last year she was the Big Ten pitcher of the year.

Not only is Young a threat from the mound, she can be dangerous from the plate. She leads the Wolverines with six homeruns this season and 20 RBI’s.

In addition to Young, Michigan has a host of heavy hitters. In 29 games played the Wolverines have 27 homeruns compared to the Badgers’ 12 homeruns. Michigan’s 111 RBI’s are also significantly more than the Badgers’ 66 RBI’s. Wisconsin will have to play tough defensively to stifle Michigan’s offensive potential.

“Michigan has a complete game, they hit well, they pitch well, and they play good defense,” Gallagher said.

However, despite the Wolverines offensive firepower, the Badgers played well against Michigan in the past.

“I always look forward to playing Michigan,” Gallagher said. “We go to battle with them, just like any other team in the Big Ten, but we always seem to up our level against Michigan, and hopefully we’ll be able to do that on Friday and Saturday.”

Kirchberg’s feelings are much the same as her coach.

“They’re big rivals with us, so it’s going to be a lot of fun I think, as long was we play our game we’ll be fine,” Kirchberg said.

Michigan State will be a tough challenge as well in the double header on Sunday. They have gone on a number of streaks this season, including a 12 game win streak followed by a five game losing streak, but they bounced back to win 9 of their last 10.

“Michigan State is on a hot streak right now,” sophomore catcher Boo Gillette said. “They swept Iowa who was No.1 (in the Big Ten, and ranked No.21 nationally), so of course they’re going to come out pumped and they want to beat us, we’re 2-4. They’re probably expecting us to lay down for them, but that’s not going to happen.”

Michigan State does not stand out like Michigan in terms of hitting when compared to Wisconsin, but like Michigan they too have an ace on the mound. Junior pitcher Jessica Beech is 17-1, with a 0.75 ERA.

In addition to their play on the mound, senior Sandy Lewis and freshman Elizabeth Peterson, could pose a threat from the plate for the Badgers. Lewis leads the team in batting average, hits, and runs scored (.378, 37, and 24 respectively.), while Peterson leads the Spartans in slugging percentage, RBIs, and homeruns (.706, 20, and 5 respectively). Against Big Ten leading Iowa, Michigan State scored seven runs, compared to Iowa’s one run.

The task as hand for the Badgers is going to be a challenge, but the team needs to do well this weekend to stay in the hunt for post-season play.

“In the Big Ten only the top six get into the Big Ten tournament,” Gillette said “And to get into the post season you need to make it to the Big Ten tournament, so we need to rack up so wins.”

Although the opponents are tough, winning is certainly not out of the question, but it will not come without great play by Wisconsin.

“I feel like we need to come in this weekend and play good focused, consistent, complete ball,” Gallagher said, “and hopefully we can do that.”