Free-throw shooting, lack of turnovers keys to success

Perhaps the two most important factors in winning basketball games are limiting turnovers and getting to the free-throw line. If there’s any central reason to the success of the Wisconsin men’s basketball team this season (13-4, 3-2 Big Ten), it’s because of these two aspects.

So far this year, the Badgers have made 64 more free throws than their opponents have even attempted. Iowa is the only Big Ten team to top UW in that department, and when the Badgers have gotten to the line, they’ve been able to knock down their shots at a rate of 74.5 percent, ranking 27th nationally.

“That’s a great stat to have, because for most teams [free throws] are just easy points,” Kirk Penney said. “It’s just an opportunity where, especially down the stretch in a game, you can put points on the board without a guy in your face. It means we’re getting the ball inside. We’re not just settling for outside jumpers.”

Furthermore, Wisconsin has held its opponents to just 11.7 free-throw attempts per game, the fewest in the nation. Overall, the Badgers have attempted 353 free throws on the season to their opponents’ 199, a staggering disparity that has allowed UW to either pull away or hold on to many games down the stretch.

“[Coach Ryan] stresses that we get to the basket,” Alando Tucker, who is shooting 68.1 percent from the charity stripe, said. “In order to beat teams, you have to get to the basket and force fouls. You can’t just shoot all jumpers and think you’re going to win a game. You can’t just settle for missing once you get [to the line].”

Part of the reason the Badgers have gotten to the line so many times this year is that they’ve wasted so few possessions. Wisconsin leads the Big Ten in fewest turnovers, with 11.3 per contest, a figure that’s eighth best in the country. Quite simply, this means the Badgers have often been able to get more shots at the basket than their opponents.

This ball-handling success can be attributed in large part to sophomore Devin Harris, who is playing the point-guard position for the first time in college. He has adjusted nicely to the ball-handling role, turning it over just 1.6 times per game. He has also been helped by freshman Boo Wade, who has come off the bench in all 17 games, often to relieve Harris at the point. In 21 minutes of play, Wade is averaging two assists and 1.4 turnovers, a solid ratio for a freshman.

“Boo comes in and has a good savvy about him and reads the game real well,” Penney, who leads the Badgers with 3.6 assists per game, said. “It’s great to see him out there doing so well, because he works hard in practice, and it shows in games.”

Sensational freshmen

The story of the Big Ten thus far has undoubtedly been the play of freshmen that have taken the conference by storm. Bracey Wright of Indiana leads the phenomenal freshman class and is second overall in the Big Ten with 19.1 points per game. Daniel Horton of Michigan, who has won Big Ten player of the week twice already, is eighth in the conference with 15.9 points per game. Dee Brown of Illinois tops the conference with five assists per game, while also chipping in 12.5 points.

Wisconsin’s top freshman has been Alando Tucker. Although being just 6-foot-5, Tucker’s athleticism has allowed head coach Bo Ryan to play him extensively at both forward positions, a versatility that has been so valuable to a UW team that lacks depth, particularly in the frontcourt. Tucker burst onto the scene with a 24-point, 18-rebound performance in his first start, a win over UNLV, and has averaged 13.7 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. His 56.3 field-goal percentage is fourth best in the Big Ten.

“Coming into the season, my teammates had a lot of confidence in me,” he said. “Coming in, I was thinking [about] any contribution I could make, whether it’s a rebound, pass, blocked shot, scoring, it doesn’t matter. Fortunately the guys have been able to get me in some open situations and have had confidence in me. I’ve been able to finish plays and do a lot of things.”

Mike Johnson, Basketball Writer

Sensational freshmen