Players shocked by soccer coach’s resignation

The Wisconsin men’s soccer program was thrown into temporary uncertainty when former head coach Kalekeni Banda resigned Jan. 4.

Banda cited his recent divorce and his situation as a single father in his decision to step down.

“I must place a greater emphasis on my parental obligation, rather than my career aspirations,” Banda said in a release. “My children want and need to be exposed to a more culturally and racially diverse set of life experiences. To provide them with that opportunity for growth and development will probably necessitate the relocation of my family.”

Banda told his players about the resignation the day before it was announced, reaching most through e-mail while they were away for semester break. Players unanimously expressed “surprise” and “shock,” but the team was split regarding their feelings about the sudden development.

“The older guys have mixed emotions with Banda leaving,” said Nick Van Sicklen, who will be a sophomore on the team next fall.

“Some really liked his style and how he coached, and others didn’t really fit with that style. So some might be kind of happy to have a new look with the coach but others will certainly be sad.”

Many team members were not satisfied with how Banda ran the program, several players reported. After five seasons, Banda was 37-58-4 at the Badgers’ reins.

However, players said they respected the difficult situation their coach faced, and were understanding of his actions.

“He was always professional,” Van Sicklen said.

The athletic department announced plans to engage in a national search for Banda’s replacement. Numerous coaches are rumored to be attracted to the position, which is currently the only major-college soccer opening.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports two of the top candidates are Yale coach Brian Tompkins, who once led UW-Milwaukee, and former Indiana assistant John Trask, now with the Miami Fusion of Major League Soccer. MLS is eliminating two teams, and several assistants are evidently interested in coming to Madison.

Assistant UW athletic director John Jentz mentioned John Adlard and Luis Bennett as candidates, according to Van Sicklen.

In the meantime, Badgers assistant Michael Johnson is coordinating the team, which is set to meet Tuesday night. Johnson would have been in his fourth season as Banda’s technical assistant.

Though some players say Wisconsin was Johnson’s team even under Banda, who frequently left the Briton in charge of practice, the university’s “national” search seems to preclude him as a candidate.

Dexterity with recruiting is apparently an important factor in the search, especially the ability to attract players from Wisconsin.

The Badgers were 10-8-1 in 2001 and head into next fall with several experienced young players.