Mickie’s Dairy Bar

Finally, a bar exists in Madison where college students want to go to nurse the morning-after munchies. The Madison favorite serves generous portions from the extensive menu including lunch, dinner and all-day breakfast specials. For those days when a hot dog sounds good at 9 in the morning, a better deal won’t come around than Mickie’s $1.50 wiener. The word “bar” in the title of a breakfast joint may intimidate the naive; however, it is so named because the interior remains authentic to the 1950s-style diner. The unique dining room consists of booths, tables and their signature “dairy bar” seating. Regulars fill the barstools for Mickie’s thick malts and shakes, just like in the good old days.

The color scheme screams of Badger pride, and its proximity to Camp Randall explains their devotion. Every weekend, football players pack in the enormous portions for a great price. Most dishes range from $3 to $6, and generally, each order is enough for two people. Customers often get excited as the glance at the original 1950s menu posted on the wall. Too bad pancakes aren’t 45 cents anymore, huh? The current menu is displayed on the back wall, and offers an incredible variety of dishes considering their hours are from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays.

Owner since 1991, Payow Chongnaum often comes out of the kitchen to greet his loyal customers. Thongnaum is passionate about good food and good friends, and it shows in his dishes. According to Thongnaum, Mickie’s Dairy Bar gets busiest on Sundays after Saturday Badger games.

“People stand in line for three or four hours outside the diner on busy weekends, and they leave happy,” said Thongnaum about the typical weekend rush. He also gave a tip for college ladies looking for a linebacker to share breakfast with, “If you want to meet cute guys, come in any weekend and check out these football players,” Thongnaum said.

The oatmeal apple raisin griddle cakes are not to be messed with. They came with a warning: Madison’s finest defensive ends can’t even eat two of them in one sitting. The server was kind enough to share that the griddle cakes are indeed delicious, but also as big as your head. This information proved a little misleading, as one griddlecake turned out to be as big as two heads. The cakes were unquestionably filling and very enjoyable. If you’re in the mood for a classic breakfast combination, don’t neglect to try the eggs, sausage and yanks. For those unfamiliar with the term “yanks,” they are authentic, American-style hash browns — always a classic. If for some reason you have room for desert, be sure to order the apple cinnamon or blueberry coffee cake; they are heaven on a plate and perfect for soaking up “Saturday night fun” leftovers in the stomach.

Don’t miss out on the unforgettable food that awaits; Come and grab a stool at Mickie’s Dairy Bar this weekend.

3 1/2 stars out of 5