Lazy Jane’s Cafe

Daytime dining is often underestimated in its ability to win over foodies — simple soup and salad combinations tend to get a little boring. Sure, there are tons of different ways to have your morning and afternoon meals, but sometimes it can just be a variation on the same old story.

Lazy Jane’s, located on the 1300 block of Williamson Street, is a cozy little lunch and breakfast eatery. One can barely look at the two-story house, much less be served a whole meal inside, without having some charm rub off on them. The first floor jumps out as an intimate coffee shop that could be great for a first date or a relaxing read.

Upon my first visit, the staff looked at me questioningly. It was a “What do you want?” kind of face in the most literal sense and of the highest degree. I looked for a moment at the chalkboard menus mounted to the back walls and order hash browns with seitan (a vegetarian meat-imitation product made from wheat gluten) and red peppers and a coffee mug to liven me up before class. After a few minutes of taking in the warm colors and checking out the variety of knickknacks that add to the decor, I grabbed my plate from the kitchen and walked upstairs.

The second floor resembles a living room, or dare I say salon? Feeling comfortable here is not a problem. The space almost begs to be lingered in. There are three or four sofas in one part of the room, sectioned off from a larger dining area with tables and chairs to accommodate a more “normal” eating atmosphere.

The hash browns were not the typical shredded potato fare but were tasty nonetheless, and they came with two eggs cooked to order and toast. The potatoes with seitan were great, but my eggs cooked over-medium were a little inconsistent. One was yolky and the other was dry, but they both ended up going great with the whole wheat bread. I enquired early as to the freshness of the ingredients; one of the staff members assured me everything is made in house and vegetables are picked from the garden adjoining the restaurant.

Lazy Jane’s has a decent sized menu, but items like the grilled cheese and avocado sandwich set them a cut above the rest. Price isn’t sacrificed for quality either, especially in the context of exclusive daytime service.
5 stars out of 5