Blueberry-Lemon Coffee Cake Muffins with Lemon Creme

8d.jpg

Don’t these look absolutely perfect? I can’t decide if these muffins are better as breakfast or dessert.

Try them out for yourself!

I found the original recipe for blueberry coffee cake muffins on FoodNetwork.com from Barefoot Contessa’s Ina Garten. I added 3 tablespoons of lemon zest to the muffin batter to give them a kick, and then I whipped up a quick lemon creme frosting to top them off.

1d.jpg

First, as usual, gather all your ingredients: 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature), zest of one lemon, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 8 oz. sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt. For the lemon creme frosting, you’ll need: zest of one lemon, 8 oz. (1 package) cream cheese, 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature), 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 2 cups powdered sugar.

2d.jpg

Step one: Cream together the butter and sugar (usually takes about 5 minutes).

Step two: With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract, the lemon zest, the sour cream and the milk.

Step three: In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.

3d.jpg

Step four: slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ones, and only mix until combined. When you’re finished, carefully fold in the blueberries.

4d.jpg

Step five: Pour 1/2 cup portions into a greased tin and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

5d.jpg

6d.jpg

While the muffins cool, set to work making the frosting. Beat together the butter and the cream cheese for about one minute, then add the vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons lemon zest. Last, add the 2 cups of powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments. Generously pipe the frosting onto the muffins… or should I say *cupcakes*.

7d.jpg