Student news, media thrive in campus community

I decided to attend the University of Wisconsin for a number of reasons but specifically because of its journalism program. Naturally, I wanted to write for as many publications on campus and the surrounding area as possible.

This led me to do some independent research on the many dimensions of the university’s media and news sources–which I am now happy to share with you.

The most prominent sources are the two student newspapers, The Badger Herald and the Daily Cardinal. While reading these papers, you will find student input on topics such as education reform, reporting on campus news, and yes, students’ wild Shoutouts. These papers also offer news coverage of UW, Madison and the State of Wisconsin. While both contain a combination of professional and personal writing, you can tell which I favor by the one I write for.

The beauty of these papers lies in the diverse topics they contain – from personal rants you nod with in agreement to questionable opinions calling for a constructive critical conversation between readers.

Another source is the university’s online employee newsletter, Inside UW-Madison. I have found this newsletter to be a great way to learn about professors. While professors are teaching, many are also debating hot topics outside of UW or working on projects their class would only know about if they were “in” with the professor … or read Inside UW-Madison.

Inside UW-Madison is also a phenomenal source to learn about students’ successes and awards. It was through Inside UW-Madison I learned of the “Win a Trip with Nick Kristof” contest (Kristof writes an opinion column for The New York Times). Now I have something remarkable to apply for next year.

If you don’t believe UW has endless opportunities, then you’re not viewing enough of the media and news sources the campus offers.

For those who want to live like it’s the 1930s and hear the news on the radio (or just like to jam out to music and sometimes uncensored student commentary), fear not – UW has its own radio station, 91.7FM WSUM: the Snake on the Lake. I recently took a secret tour of the station and interviewed a student who seems to me to be running more of the station than she likes to admit.

I have to say, if you want to share an idea of yours through a live interview, WSUM is the place to go.

Two exceptional online news sources are Madison Commons and Curb Magazine, both of which are powered by the UW School of Journalism. Both center on the community and within it news, talk, debate and complex (often emotional) stories.

If you’re seeking centers for heartfelt community change, these are the publications to check out. Although, I have to admit that if you are looking for news relating more directly to you, news that is more personal and news that is, well, entertaining, I would choose these two news sources last. Still, check them out to be sure.

Now, I know I missed handful of other sources: There are underground creations, student and staff blogs, and classroom group projects lasting a semester or two. If you’re ambitious, it’s never been easier to start a community online newsletter, nor has there been a better place to start one than at UW.

Still, if you’re just looking to sink your eyes into some desired news, The Badger Herald awaits.

Garth Beyer ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism.