Point-Counter-Point: Sly’s views needed

Recently, news talk radio stationWTDYunderwent some pretty significant changes. While firing news staff was definitely a big move, the most worrisome step WTDY undertook was firing John “Sly” Sylvester. Sly, known for his “Sly in the Morning” slot, was noted for his caustic on-air style and, among other views, his support of the Capitol protests last fall.

The changes have been considered part of a move to a new format, though that new format has not been made explicit. There is undeniable pressure on media right now to change their current operating models, affecting even The Badger Herald. Print and broadcast media are in flux, so it makes sense WTDYwould adapt in order to survive.

However, this loss of Sly’s voice is nothing but detrimental.

You may not agree with his views or style, but he is part of the political marketplace of ideas. He fills, or rather filled, the same role hosts like Rush Limbaugh fill. Sly was there to promote discourse. He provided views that forced opinions out of people.

While moderation and compromise are ideal in the legislative branch, the public forum ought to have all extremes. With voices like Sly’s, every day, citizens are forced to have an opinion. If you’re confronted with an extreme view that aligns with your political leaning, you’ll either say “That was too harsh” or “That wasn’t extreme enough!” Yet, if you’re confronted with an extreme view that opposes your political views, you’ll react with either, “He’s wrong because X, Y and Z” or, “There was some merit to that argument.” Either way, you’re forced to think about your own views.

This is why voices like Sly’s should not be cut loose at any cost. Sly provided strong opinions and a harsh style that was conducive to sorting through the cesspool of tepid arguments. In an open political marketplace of ideas, there will, obviously, be a myriad of opinions. But the opinions with the strongest merit will be the ones that survive. Sly served this exact purpose.

Love him or hate him, he added to the competitiveness of political ideas. Conservatives, on a national level, have talk show hosts Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh. Wisconsin had John Sylvester. He may not have been accurate or fair in everything he said, but that is not sufficient to justify losing his voice. Even fiscal pressure on WDTY shouldn’t justify silencing Sly. He served a great purpose in the marketplace of ideas. Without him, the Madison political speech forum will be regrettably less competitive.

Reginald Young ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in legal studies and Scandinavian studies.