Sour 16: Thoughts on UW’s NCAA ousting

Lost in the glamour, jubilation and Disney princess metaphors of the Sweet 16 are 16 ugly stepsisters sent home from the ball early, rejected and deflated.

While Cornell will be holding a four-day party this week — poetry readings, Michelob ULTRA Light and lawn darts I suspect — Badger players will be playing a never-ending game of “what-if.” As in “what-if” they had defended the 3-point arc more aggressively early in the game; “what-if” Trevon Hughes and Keaton Nankivil had avoided foul trouble?

Welcome to the unpleasant week of a Sour 16 team.

Since Badger players are sure to be asking themselves these questions, I might be able to provide a few answers.

None of which, I’m sure, are actually wanted.

Still, only by learning from mistakes do we improve — something I will keep in mind next year before I attempt to mathematically guarantee Kansas will win the whole tourney — and since I have watched every minute of every game this year, here are 16 Sour thoughts, in no particular order, on Wisconsin’s early exit:

1. In two games Jon Leuer scored 43 points on 16-of-28 shooting (57 percent shooting), led the team with 12 rebounds and served as the only reason UW fans didn’t change the channel at the eight-minute mark of the contest. Still, the junior big man wasn’t utilized properly. Leuer went 5-for-5 in the first half and scored 14 of the Badgers’ 31 points.

Not missing a single shot means he needs the ball more. Not only was Leuer scoring, but also was getting to the free-throw line and drawing fouls on anyone who dared to guard him. Wisconsin should have taken note of St. Mary’s giant Omar Samhan, who touched the ball seemingly every time down the court en route to an upset over Villanova.

2. Senior guard Trevon Hughes turned the ball over six times — including one where he simply forgot to catch — and only chipped in two assists.

3. Sophomore guard Jordan Taylor dished out six assists, while only turning the ball over two times. Let no story ever be written on how Hughes “mentored” Taylor in his development.

4. The game did lead to a nice reminiscing moment of my early basketball years. At least five different times, Cornell’s give-and-go reminded me of when my dad taught our fourth grade team the same exact play.

5. Members of the YMCA church league probably recognized that staple of Cornell’s offense as well.

6. Fearless Prediction No. 1: Mike Bruesewitz will make the same freshman-sophomore jump next year that Taylor did this year. Brueser already ranks as the team’s best offensive rebounder, and Bo Ryan almost giggles with pride at the mere mention of his name.

7. It is a shame Hughes’ career had to end on such a bitter note. The senior guard did make huge leaps this year, leading the program in a win over Duke and carrying UW through Leuer’s injury. His mediocre performance in the tournament doesn’t change the fact that he led UW to 24 wins in a year many predicted would be the worst of Bo’s career at UW.

8. The “bench” technical assessed with 13:31 left in the game, may not be a very big deal in the long run, but it sapped what little energy Wisconsin had left at that point. Bo could be seen on TV saying something similar to “Duck Hughes!” toward the ref, and UW never got closer than 13 points after that. The intangible effect of leadership was tangibly missing from this game.

9. One of the worst parts of the loss was how many experts predicted it. Far and away, Cornell was the No.1 picked double-digit seed to dance on the second weekend. Swallowing the words “I told you” goes down about as smoothly as stale (redundant) Bud Light.

10. Fearless Prediction No. 2: Taylor and probable starter Rob Wilson will be practicing post entry passes all summer long. And perhaps the words, “Give Leuer the damn ball” will be taped above their locker next fall.

11. Not-so Fearless Prediction: Idiot Wisconsin fans will call this season a disappointment. One game does not make the whole season a let down. Please, please, please prove me wrong.

12. Cornell was just the latest team to mystify the Badgers’ strong defense with phenomenal perimeter shooting early, which leads to easier baskets later. Davidson and Stephen Curry toyed with the UW defense two years ago, and UNLV knocked off Wisconsin as a No. 2 seed by exploiting the Badgers from deep.

13. After becoming a completely perimeter-oriented team this year, the Badgers will make another radical transition on offense next season. Brueser and Ryan Evans figure to receive huge minutes, but both have value attacking the offensive glass and driving, not spotting up on the perimeter. Still, Bo will figure out a way to get back into the dance.

14. Word on the street (and by street, I mean completely useless gossip) is, though our leader and Chancellor Biddy Martin “claimed” to have picked Wisconsin over her former Ivy League school, she actually wore Red instead of Cardinal come game day. Et tu, Biddy.

15. Fearless Prediction No. 3: Leuer’s versatile and beautiful offensive attack will earn him the Big Ten Player of the Year award. If you are silly enough to have read this far in, you heard it here first.

16. Although Hughes is widely regarded as the best NBA prospect on the Badger roster, the Orlando Magic are interested in taking a second round flyer on J-Bo to replace J.J. Redick as their token white shooter.

Michael is a senior majoring in journalism. Think he missed something? E-mail him at [email protected].