Braun: UW athletics back after rough start

Yes, the Wisconsin football team is 3-5 in the Big Ten and nearly lost a game to Cal Poly of the FCS.

The Badger men’s hockey team didn’t win a game until beating North Dakota in its eighth game of the season.

The women’s basketball team — well, let’s not even go there.

But looking ahead, the tide seems to be turning. With a bowl game — whichever it may be — coming up, and a successful start to the season for Bo Ryan’s squad, there are many things to be thankful for in Badger athletics.

So, while you’re enjoying your turkey and feasting like you just discovered food, think about what happened, and what has yet to come this year in UW sports. Here are my thoughts:

Rough season, but it could have been worse

The aforementioned Cal Poly game could have — and maybe should have — had a different result than a 36-35 Wisconsin victory. A few extra points and some nifty runs by John Clay kept the Badgers in the game and eventually led to the win.

Think of what could have happened if Wisconsin lost. After an unprecedented disappointment of a season, UW fans would be calling for change as if it were the 2008 presidential election.

The Badgers held on against their archrival Minnesota Golden Gophers, capping off the season by a hard-fought victory that gave Wisconsin something to cheer for in a year that didn’t turn out the way anyone expected.

Now, with a bowl game all but etched in stone (though not one anyone at UW really wants), at least the Badgers get to boast about competing in their 11th straight bowl game appearance, no matter what name is attached.

Bad start, but men’s hockey is getting better

After beginning the season 0-6-1, the UW men’s hockey team has climbed back into the WCHA standings, only losing once in its last seven games. It seems like Mike Eaves has his team back on track and poised to compete in the conference once again.

Wisconsin currently is only three points behind Minnesota after its recent tear and will play two big games against Michigan and Michigan State coming up before the semester is over.

So, after the tough start in which the Badgers had to play five different ranked teams, things seem to be shaping up for Wisconsin.

Mark Johnson is coaching a winner

If every sport at Wisconsin played at the level of the women’s hockey team, then calling UW an athletic powerhouse would be a vast understatement. Badgers’ coach Mark Johnson is coaching perhaps the best team at the school, and it will only improve as the season continues. Wisconsin has yet to lose a game, and it stands at 14-0-2 going into the Thanksgiving Day break.

The No. 1 Badgers are coming off a season in which they lost in the NCAA Championship game, and if the beginning to this season is any indicator, they will put themselves in a situation to once again compete for the National Championship — this time though, they’ll probably come out on top.

Bo’s team continues to improve

After struggling against Long Beach State and Iona, the Wisconsin men’s basketball team beat a solid San Diego team by 15 points and seems like it is only getting better.

Seniors Marcus Landry and Joe Krabbenhoft are doing everything they can to keep the Badgers on the winning track, and guard Trevon Hughes has had some major outbursts of scoring, including back-to-back games with 20-plus points.

Next, the team will face major challenges in Virginia Tech in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge, then Marquette, and capped off with Texas before the conference season gets underway.

Jonah is a sophomore hoping to major in journalism. Have anything else to be thankful about in Wisconsin athletics? Let him know at [email protected].