Solochek: UW conference hopes still alive

OK sports fans, please back away from the ledge.

Last weekend we saw an epic meltdown in local athletics. Not only did the Badgers lose another heartbreaker Saturday night against Ohio State, but many students saw their local professional teams take their last gasps of life as the Brewers, Cubs and White Sox all lost.

For many, the devastation could not be salvaged. Seeing sadness behind people’s eyes around campus Sunday night after the Brewers lost was heartbreaking. On Monday, it seemed as if some horrible catastrophe had just taken place in Madison.

Even though last weekend saw its share of heartbreak, we must not give up hope, either for our football team or for Badger sports as a whole.

When Penn State rolls into town this Saturday to play under the lights of Camp Randall, the Badgers have the chance to go into the game as the upset special. A week ago, America saw how the Wisconsin defense was able to contain a spread offense for most of the game. Come game day this weekend, the Nittany Lions’ “Spread HD” will get a high-definition look at what a motivated, determined defense will do to get some respect from league opponents.

On offense, there have been calls for Allan Evridge’s head on a silver platter. The criticism he has received over the past week should motivate the embattled quarterback to prove everyone wrong. Look for him, along with a rejuvenated running game led by John Clay, to prove there is some offensive firepower to the Wisconsin football team.

If the Badgers do win Saturday night’s game, the race for the Big Ten Championship is far from over. Ohio State, who is undefeated in the Big Ten, still has to play Illinois, Michigan State and their yearly grudge match with Michigan. After they come to Camp Randall, the Nittany Lions — who reside atop the Big Ten — will have back-to-back games against Ohio State and Michigan.

For the football team, as Yogi Berra would say, “It ain’t over till it’s over.”

Even if Wisconsin does end up losing Saturday night, there is still a lot to cheer about on campus. Looking ahead, the hockey season gets underway this weekend as the team starts out on the road against Boston College and New Hampshire. With the Crease Creatures behind their back, the team could go far in the WCHA and NCAA playoffs.

If hockey isn’t your game, the basketball season tips off Nov.1 against Augustana. Bo’s Badgers will be looking to reclaim their title as Big Ten regular season and tournament champions in a conference that produces some of the best basketball talent in the country.

In other sports, Wisconsin is fielding several very successful teams. The women’s hockey team is off to a great start. The No. 2 Badgers swept Syracuse last weekend and will be traveling to Columbus this weekend to play the Buckeyes. The volleyball team is also off to a hot start, going 2-0 last weekend by defeating Michigan and Ohio State.

So Badger fans, even though the football team has taken a turn for the worse, there is no reason to panic. Their chances of making the Rose Bowl may be bleak, but they can still play the role of underdog and take down several of the highly-touted teams in their conference to help regain some legitimacy and respect for the program this season.

If the Badgers do lose this Saturday, all will not be lost. We should not just focus our collective cheering on one team. Instead, our support should be thrown behind all of the athletic teams on campus, and we should show up to cheer them on.

Without them, it would make the last two weekends only that much more depressing.

Ben is a senior majoring in journalism and history. Still think the Badgers have a shot at the Rose Bowl, or are they more likely headed to the Motor City Bowl? Let him know at [email protected].