Paul Ryan’s inability to connect with constituents has weakened his appeal — enter Randy Bryce

In a time where underdogs have a fighting chance, Paul Ryan may face his hardest election to date
Tobyotter/Flickr Commons

In politics and sports, the most fun question to ask is “what if.” 

Perhaps it was the Chicago Cubs’ shocking win in the World Series last year, President Donald Trump’s unlikely journey to the White House or the intrigue created by UFC fighter Conor McGregor’s venture into the boxing ring this summer, but the American obsession with the improbable is at a fever pitch.

In the political world, the obsession now manifests itself in Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional district, as 10-term incumbent and current Speaker of the House Paul Ryan faces a staunch challenge to his seat from a local army veteran and blue collar worker.

On the surface, it doesn’t look like much of a race.

In large part due to gerrymandering, Speaker Ryan’s margin of victory in the past two elections was massive. His ability to garner national attention as Speaker of the House makes him popular in the state, especially since many see him as a “moderate” willing to try and work with Democrats to solve problems. On top of that, any perceived threat to such a big name in the Republican Party will undoubtedly bring in millions of dollars in political contributions.

Paul Ryan calls Foxconn deal ‘game changer’ for Wisconsin

Paul Ryan should be unbeatable, but he isn’t. Despite his position of power, the Speaker’s inability to connect with his own constituents makes him vulnerable.

As a U.S. Representative, Paul Ryan’s first responsibility is to answer to the constituents of his district. I am one of those constituents, and trust me, he has no interest in listening to what any of us have to say.

Seriously, try calling his office. Ten times out of ten you’ll be sent to voicemail. Ryan recently held his first “Town Hall” meeting back in Wisconsin, except it wasn’t a public event. Those who wanted to attend had to apply, ultimately leaving the decision on attendees in the hands of CNN. It’s antics like these that leave Speaker Ryan so vulnerable.

Being unable to even speak to those you have elected will irritate just about any constituency, but in a place like Wisconsin, where access to our officials is especially important to us, it’s disgraceful. Add in a stagnant legislative agenda despite a national mandate for Republicans, the farce that is the Foxconn deal and his continuing role as the president’s court jester, and Speaker Ryan’s next race might be the closest of his career, if not the upset many are already predicting. All Democrats need now is a quality candidate to speed up this race.

The thing is, Randy Bryce is a really good candidate. As an army veteran, cancer survivor and iron worker, Bryce represents the kind of person many believe Paul Ryan continues to screw over in Washington. His life experiences give him firsthand knowledge of the military, our healthcare system and everyday life as a blue collar worker from a personal perspective.

Consider that Bryce is the ultimate picture of modern rustbelt American, and he may have a fighting chance. No, seriously, go look at a picture of the guy. Bryce often has this steely expression on his face, with a fantastic mustache, hardhat and work clothes to back it up.

Will the real Paul Ryan please stand up?