Cruz should look past Walker to win Wisconsin primary

Top Republicans in state aren’t popular, won’t help GOP candidates win election
Courtesy of flickr user Gage Skidmore

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, should measure his rhetoric carefully as it relates to Gov. Scott Walker and try to stave off getting his endorsement for president.

Cruz said in a speech that he was “inspired” by Walker’s handling of Act 10, saying “that fight inspired millions of Americans across the country.” He insinuates that millions of people stood with Walker to alleviate the special interest union bosses and public employees, thus ending corruption in Wisconsin.

I didn’t know we lived in such a state.

From my recollection, the one who was, potentially, colluding with special interests was Walker, which is why the Government Accountability Board approved a probe into his recall campaign. This probe examined if the special interest group — the Wisconsin Club for Growth — illegally coordinated advertisements with the Walker campaign.

To his credit, Walker did have millions of Wisconsinites vote for him in the recall election, but his poll numbers are floundering. His current approval rating is 39 percent among Wisconsinites. For the sake of comparison,Obama’s approval rating, among Wisconsinites, is 49 percent.

I know Cruz is looking to secure a major Wisconsin Republican’s endorsement prior to the April 5 primary, but it probably would be better if he didn’t.

Cruz’s major appeal is he is an outsider, even though he works for the federal government.

He keeps people accountable, never gives up his ideals and plays only by his rules. He is a polarizing figure that excites millions.

Wisconsin’s top Republicans are not that exciting.

Walker has been heavily criticized ever since announcing his run for president and his poll numbers haven’t recovered since that failed run.

Another top Republican, Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin, is in the same boat as Walker. His poll numbers are disastrous, only pulling a 33 percent approval rating and is polling 12 percentage points behind former Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wisconsin, in Johnson’s reelection campaign.

It is probably best if Cruz stays in the lane that has gotten him this far in the presidential race — the outside one.

Aaron Reilly ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in comparative literature and Russian.