Resnick offers Madison new, innovative solutions

Herald Archive
Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, will make improving communication between the City Council and the Mayor’s office a top priority in his new role as council pro tem.

The future of Madison is a broad story with many narratives. Each mayoral candidate has spent the past few months expanding his vision for how to shape the narrative, and on Feb. 17, we’ll know who will face off in the general election to design the future of Madison’s economic development.

Scott Resnick, the alder of the student-dominated District 8 and one of the candidates for mayor, tells us that there are two Madisons: one affluent, one not; one connected, one not; one mobile, one not. The problem he describes is not new, but the description does serve as a measuring stick for each mayoral candidate’s plan for Madison five, 10 or 30 years down the road.

Last month, Mayor Paul Soglin warned against State Street becoming a string of “megasaloons” as bars and restaurants crowded out locally-owned stores. For many, including students, State Street is the most accessible part of Madison culture and entertainment, and we all have a large stake in the diversity and success of the area. Soglin’s vision of Madison’s downtown focuses on a variety of local businesses offering services outside of alcohol, food and coffee. While a venerable and noble goal, this is indicative of a solution for only one of the two Madisons. This helps the affluent — whether they are students, young professionals or longtime Madisonians. While turning State Street into a true heart of the city is a venerable and worthy plan, it really doesn’t do anything for the other Madison south of Regent Street or northeast of the Yahara River.

Resnick is focused on solving key issues facing both of the Madisons and envisions an economic future for Madison that leverages entrepreneurial success primarily through the technology sector. Crusading on crucial access issues like a widening digital divide between the two Madisons, Resnick is all-in on innovative solutions. On the backs of organizations like Resnick-backed startup incubator StartingBlock, Resnick’s vision is similar to Soglin’s in that it calls for a vibrant downtown that offers diversity in business and housing. However, Resnick is banking on his experience in the tech startup community to see issues in a new way and come up with creative solutions to old and new problems. Madison has become a hotbed of technology-based startups, and someone with Resnick’s experience and expertise could be the catalyst for solving the complex problems facing our city.

I’ve written before about my support for Resnick. That hasn’t changed. I believe Resnick is best equipped to lead the city to where we need it to be five, 10 and 30 years from now. Although Mayor Soglin is formidable, capable and could lead the city well if elected for yet another term, I am supporting Resnick for the change in style and vision. What he brings to the table is what Madison needs right now.

As Resnick has frequently said, ours is the tale of two Madisons: one for the haves and one for the have-nots. As students, we fall into both camps. We’re downtown, and much of the downtown is built to accommodate and promote our presence. We have bars, coffee shops, apartments, shops and transportation options that many — especially in other areas of Madison — covet mightily. Conversely, we are also frequently ignored in important conversations, and many students struggle to make ends meet. For example, luxury apartments are built near campus aimed at non-students, city committees determine policy with cursory student input and homeless students struggle to attend class and attend to their personal needs. With the pending changes to the UW System, student input on campus itself will be diminished. We belong in both of Resnick’s Madisons, and the gap needs to be bridged.

Economic development is not just about money. It’s about bridging the two Madisons and creating opportunities for everyone in the community, not just a subset of the population. I will be voting for Resnick in the primary, but I encourage all students to vote based on what kind of Madison they want to live in. The Badger Herald has profiled each candidate so you can determine for yourself. Read up, think and vote.

Adam Johnson ([email protected]) is a Master’s candidate at the La Follette School of Public Affairs.